SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

Need Help Re-Designing my English Garden

Oh boy. There is such a thing as "too much of a good thing". And, my little formal English garden on our side yard is just gotten to be too much. This area presents some difficulties, which is why I haven't tackled it until now, but we really need to get a handle on this before it really declines into something completely unmanageable. Right now, it consists of four squarish planter areas that have a 'Red Fairy' tree rose in the center, with poorly maintained variegated boxwood hedges that make an "X" out to the corners of the planters. There are 4 terra cotta pots with Kumquat trees in them, and dwarf Arborvitae in the 4 corners of each planter (save for one corner, where the Artorvitae must have met its demise previous to us moving in). On two opposite triangular sides the planters are planted with an icky groundcover. The other two opposite sides have odd stuff - artichokes, the Kumquats, a rose, some begonias, and weeds :-) So, here are the pro's and con's of what we currently have going on in this area:

Con's: It is on the north side of our house, so 2 of my 4 square garden areas (closest to the house) are mainly in the shade, and the other 2 are in nearly full sun all the time. That makes watering the area difficult (we'll put them on two separate stations), and also in trying to come up with uniform plants that can do well in both conditions, so we'll have to come up with complementary plantings I think? Also, the drainage in this part of my yard is very poor due to grading and soil issues (some Caliche layers here that are as hard as cement). Dogs like to cruise through the planters, so I have to put up some sort of low, decorative fencing that I can step over, but the dogs won't. The path is too narrow in the middle to manage the little birdbath, so we'll going to create inward curves at the four corners of the planters, so you can actually walk around the birthbath, and most likely replace it with a small narrow 3-tier fountain (birdbath will be placed in another part of the yard.) The pool equipment looks terrible, and we need to fence it off, maybe with some redwood lattice fencing, that we can pull a panel out of, or swing a gate open to get at it, so that pea gravel walkway right along side of the house needs to be widened by about a foot, and replaced with pavers. Artichokes are taking over, and will get moved to a different spot in the yard. The ground cover currently planted is too invasive, and will be torn out.Tthe 2 x 4's that make the box outlines have to come out. Don't like wood touching the soil - asking for issues with termites.

Pro's: I love my 'Red Fairy' standard roses. They are breathtaking. I like my 4 little Kumquat trees in the pots. I also like the variegated boxwood "X's" that were planted, that extend to each corner of the square planter areas, and am not opposed to doing the pruning to maintain their little hedge, as well as cut out any reverting green branches. Love my pea gravel walkways, just not the one that runs along the side of the house out to our side gate. The dwarf Arborvitae will be replaced with something else. Maybe a different cultivar, maybe nothing?? Not sure. I like Arborvitae, several dwarf cultivars can be pruned and made into a topiary. These are struggling, maybe due to the watering issues.

So, here's what I need help with:

1. Plant suggestions
2. Material suggestions for the borders of the planter boxes
3. Suggestions for a short fence around all 4 boxes
4. How to build out a screen for the pool equipment and with what.

What edging material could I use that will be permanent, and allow for me to put up some short (24") decorative fencing panels, so I can keep out my Aussies? I was thinking some sort of paver or brick?? I can always use a drill and drill a hole to drop the panels in. Something sturdy, permanent, and won't attract termites, and that I can somehow mount some short fence panels to keep out the dogs. Or, maybe I should just stick to bender board, and then put the panels into the ground? What perennial plants would be good choices for color, good behavior, and wouldn't require super high maintenance, as we've got a fair amount of maintenance already, with the pruning of the standard rose trees and boxwood (although I would not be opposed to putting in some David Austin roses in the two sunny beds, considering that). Thinking maybe some dwarf/compact lavenders, like 'Silver Anouk', or Thumbelina, or Hidcote Superior?? We want a formal look, don't mind some maintenance and pruning, and prefer perennials. Something white and low, to compliment the lavender? Thinking of using redwood lattice panels framed in some way to hide the ugly pool equipment. Ugh. Too many decisions, and the two landscape designers that have come to take a look have not offered up any suggestions that we want to go with. They want to do xeriscaping, succulents or do something informal, and we have plenty of that in other parts of our yard. This is our little formal garden area, and want it to stay formal. We may end up replacing the grass with artificial turf as much as I hate the thought, only due to the drainage and shade issues there. This is the only time of the year it looks decent. I trust your judgement. hosenemesis, wcgypsy, hoovb, gyrfalcon, calistoga, peacymomo, you all have been so great, you all have beautiful gardens. I need your expert eyes and knowledge here!

Patty S.

{{gwi:533431}}

{{gwi:533432}}

{{gwi:533434}}

{{gwi:533436}}

{{gwi:533438}}

{{gwi:533441}}

{{gwi:533442}}

{{gwi:533443}}

{{gwi:533444}}

{{gwi:533445}}

Comments (13)