SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macievega

"Best" veggies to grow

macers
10 years ago

This year was my first full blown veggie garden. I've dabbled before but mostly cut flowers and a few herbs.

Now that everything is in the ground and growing well, I've seen lots of mistakes! Oh well, live and learn -- this year is my "experimental garden" where I'm testing things out (this is also my first year gardening in southern california!)

As I've researched more, I've found that some things I've planted are "space wasters" -- that is, they take a lot of room and don't really produce much. A large area of my garden is occupied with two pumpkin plants and two water melon plants. Not to mention the winter squash (spaghetti) that will require lots of room. Why did I plant these?! We aren't crazy about watermelon or pumpkin, but I thought it'd be fun to grow.

Next year I'm looking into vertical gardening, but since my yard is small I wanted to ask everyone's opinions.

-- What do you, personally, consider the "best" producers? That is, what plants do you grow that are really worth the space they require? Best here can be in quantity or flavor -- I just want to hear everyone's opinions! :)

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert