SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bindersbee

Should I ever be tempted to volunteer my skills again for free-

bindersbee
16 years ago

Remind me how I always seem to get burned by doing so. I spent a good 30 hours working on a beautiful, full color design for a waterwise landscape for our local Parade of Homes. When you don't fill a lot with grass, it takes a lot of extra design work to fill it with plants that will add color, texture, form, bloom etc. I work for a really great design/build firm with a boss who treats me well and respects me.

The same cannot be said for the builder and landscaper (not us) of the house the design was for. I should have known from the first time I met the builder it would all go south. I did the design for free as part of the volunteer work I do for our local water conservation agency. After being overwhelmed by volunteer work in the past, I limit it to one group now. The purpose of this landscape was to educate parade goers about what waterwise means in our climate (hint- it's not cactus and lava rock). It would have been a nice community education opportunity- and a great way for me to have my design work seen by many potential clients (no- I'm not entirely philanthropic, I can't afford to be).

Anyway, the builder has completely overspent on the house and so, despite the reduced cost and free items we got donated, has decided to dump the waterwise plan and throw in whatever he can cheaply. Million dollar home with complete half- arsed landscaping- typical for the Parade of Homes I guess.

So, I suppose I should be glad that they won't be building my design at all (it was too 'detailed')rather than doing a crappy job of it and then me wondering if I want my name on it at all. The landscaper is one of those that regurgitates the same plan for every house he does- just makes it in different shapes. It's also made me grateful that I don't work for someone like that. There are some 'landscapers' who have integrity and I'm pleased to be working for one. Just because I am female doesn't mean I'm not capable of understanding landscape construction. The one meeting I had with that guy left a bad taste in my mouth- I just knew this would go south but I did it anyway because I wanted to keep my commitment (and I hoped I was wrong)!

I don't even get to write the value of the plan off my taxes even though it was done for a non-profit so I get screwed again. I could certainly have spent that time on paying clients.

So, next time I decide it's a good to give time away, please remind me that it usually doesn't pay off in any way. Seriously. The last volunteer project I worked on turned out wonderful- it was amazing and miraculous ( but I later discovered the financial manager had skimmed money from the non-profit and I've had to 'volunteer' many, many more hours over the last 2 years to put him in jail and recover the funds (it's still going on).

Comments (15)