SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ourhappyhome1

Tips 4 successfully growing Sweet Potatoes

ourhappyhome
16 years ago

Last year I planted 25 sweet potato slips as a trial (Vardaman, Porto Ricos and Beauregard). They did horribly! I got fewer than 10 potatoes from that many plants. I didn't hill them because I read it wasn't necessary, but I did work the soil to a depth of 10 - 12 inches. I amended my red clay with sand and garden soil and watered once weekly until plants were established. It rained (I thought enough) so I didn't provide additional water. They were in full sun for most of the day.

Bottom Line, I'd like to give them another try. Hopefully with more success. I've ordered Centennial slips from tatorman.com, same as last year, and plan to put them out in early May. I'm in zone 7b Georgia.

Anyone out there have any advice for a country girl who loooves her sweet potatoes. What's the trick to getting a decent harvest? To hill or not to hill, secret fertilizer recipes, magic wands, etc.

I don't want many, but I surely expect more than I got last season. Is 10 potatoes per plant a reasonable expectation?

Thanks loads!

April

Comments (8)