SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
allhaileris

Three Sisters - prep, layout, types

allhaileris
12 years ago

I'm planning on doing some three sisters planting in the next couple weeks. This weekend I need to get all the soil prepped, and hopefully get the corn planted. I honestly don't know if I can do that all in one weekend, both physically and for the benefit of the plants.

The soil was last used for peppers (I think). Lots of compost was added last year, I'll be adding more again this year. Without testing the soil (I know, I should), should I just throw some fertilizer in? I have some 16-16-16 at home that was left by the last resident of my house (we just moved in). I've read that potash is a good additive for corn. But I'm adding the beans, so I'm not sure if I need to add anything except compost. The onions and potatoes next to this area are growing well.

I bought seeds last weekend. I need to know what kind of layout works best with what I have. I've read different things online, but I've read other things here about corn, so I'm not sure how the layout would go. I bought corn (peaches and cream), blue lake green beans, zucchini and a yellow summer squash (which I only want one plant of each because I think they're gross, it's the non-cooking people in my house who want them), two kinds of cucumbers, a pickling one and a slicing one. I plan on pickling the cucumbers and green beans so I want a lot of those. I want enough corn to let it pollinate itself well, I'll put extra in the freezer or give it away so I can overgrow those. I want to plant a pie pumpkin eventually, but I see those planted later in the season in my area.

I've read that the cucumber will be fine as one of the sisters, but I've also read that it grows best supported by something. What happens if I let it just grow on the ground? I do have a couple trellis looking things that I could fashion into some kind of cucumber hanging thing if I need to, but then I worry about the space. The peices I have are like 5'x1.5'. I could put two of them together and form a tent.

The space I have to use for these veggies is about 7'x10'. It's not raised beds at all. I'm not sure what pests we have yet, I've been told there are mice and fruit/tree rats, and I've seen squirrels. Compost pile has a lot of bugs in it. Something was munching on my turnip greens, potato leaves and peas recently, but I put up a little fence made of wood and bricks and it seems to have stopped (because I suspected snails). I don't think whatever was munching on it liked it much, nothing was stripped bare.

Right now it's weeded and I covered it in some old broken down hay a couple weeks ago. I plan on scooting the bigger hay pieces to the side, tilling a little bit in, adding the compost and tilling again. So basically, do I add anything else, and how should I lay it out?

I can post pics or get exact measurements if needed.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!