SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
halifaxious

My sister's kitchen reno: floorplan critique, please

Jennifer K
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I'm helping my sister think about how she wants to rearrange her kitchen. She's about a year out from getting the reno done. And while she will be consulting a certified kitchen designer, she likes to plan and wants to have the basics mapped out. The kitchen is 16'x11'. My diagrams are to scale.

The current kitchen has the following problems:

• inadequate space around the stove
  • no connection between sink prep area and stove.
  • fridge is not convenient to sink
  • storage is awkward and lacking
  • layout requires constantly criss-crossing the kitchen which means it's very awkward for 2 cooks to work together.

This is what the current layout looks like:

Beth Kitchen ideas · More Info

Wishlist:

• efficient work triangle for fast-moving 4'9" tall cook
  • secondary work area for slow-moving 6'2" tall cook
  • desk area. My sister is a teacher and prefers to do her marking in the kitchen. She currently works at the kitchen table.
  • no kitchen table. They want to use the dining room for eating.
  • working (no seating) island
  • storage drawers and limited upper cabinets. My sister is short so reaching things above the counter is a pain. Her husband is tall so reaching things in lower cupboards is a pain.
  • trash/recycle inside a cabinet
  • broom closet

Constraints

• the walls stay where they are at though the right-hand opening will likely be enlarged
  • the windows stay where they are at
  • gas line will be moved
  • plumbing is available on the outside and left-hand wall.

Here is my attempt at an island plan. My sister is pretty happy with it. But I'm concerned about the aisle width around the island. It is 34" between stove and island; and 32" between island and pantry. This is around the same as what I have in my smaller kitchen that both I and my sister like a lot. But my kitchen has one cook, not two. The light green counter area is a lower height desk extension. The island is 24" wide.

Beth Kitchen ideas · More Info

And here is my attempt at a non-island plan that I think might be more functional. The light green counter is a desk on wheels so my sister can still have an island (she really likes the idea of one!) when she needs it.

What do you think of the layouts? How would you change them?

Comments (25)