SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purple1701

Slightly informed questions about grocery store beans

purple1701
11 years ago

IâÂÂve read up a bit on this topic already, but have some unanswered questions. It seems like the things that may be the most obvious to expert gardeners are rarely mentioned and thus that knowledge is hard for beginners to find.

I plan to plant some beans I purchased from the grocery store to eat (we eat a lot of beans as a cheap substitute for protein since corn-fed meet is an expensive commodity lately). I have black beans and pinto beans. I plan to pre-sprout them so that I only plant the ones that are definitely viable, because IâÂÂll eat them if theyâÂÂre not LOL, and am hoping to get them in the ground sooner than later, since I have no idea exactly what variety these are, how long it will take them to mature and put out fruit, etc. I do know that they are most likely bush beans, but I do plan on giving them some support if necessary. I have well-amended soil, and plentiful sun in the area they will be grown.

My questions are:

1. If I am planting one 4-ft row, would 4 plants be too many for that space? The only thing around them will most likely be some strawberries, onions, and herbs. Oh wait I canâÂÂt put onions by the beans, so scratch that (Companion planting). For what itâÂÂs worth, I do realize I may not get very many beans, this is more to placate the DH since he doesnâÂÂt seem to believe that the time and effort to harvest them may far outweigh the relatively cheap cost at which they can be purchased and low output of bean plants.
2. Since there is a chance that they may be slightly more vine-y than bush-y, is there also a chance that I might be able to clone them?
3. If I pick off pods at some point, will this at all encourage them to grow more? Say for example, if I pick them off to dry them myself, as opposed to waiting for them to dry on the vine? Can you even do that?
4. I understand that they might not set pod once temps reach 80 and above. Being in Chicago, that means potentially by mid-June, but more likely July and August. If they have not set pods by then, will they never set pods, or will they simply set pods later in the season after it cools off again?
5. If they do set pods before the temperature gets too high, and I harvest them, will they again set pods once the weather cools again?
6. I have read in many places that you are actually supposed to wait for the plant to DIE before harvesting the beans. How accurate/efficient is this?
7. Lastly, again being in Chicago, we tend to have a very wet fall season. I understand this can complicate the drying process, so what would the recommendation be as far as harvesting the beans before they might be completely dry on the vine, but before the weather gets too wet? I guess this might be answered by other questions, but if not, would be helpful to know as well.

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this, and I appreciate your feedback!

Comments (27)