SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highlandernorth

Ever grown seeds from grocery store bought peppers?

highlandernorth
12 years ago

I was in the local grocery store about a week ago, when I noticed they had Poblano peppers for sale.

Now I'd grown 2 Poblanos last year, as small plants bought from Lowes, but they were killed by aphids over winter(see my last thread about aphids/insects on plants at odd times).

But I did get a lot of peppers off of those 2 plants during the growing season, but they were typically only 3/4" diameter, and 2.5 - 3" long.

But the Poblanos I saw in the grocery store last week were friggin' HUGE! Some were as wide in diameter as a bell pepper(3"-3.5"), and many were 6-7" long! I picked out 1 that was about 2.5" diameter and 5" long, the took it home, pulled out the seeds, and placed them in one of my typical sprout bags. That means I folded over 2 paper towels in quarters, moistened them, placed the seeds on top, then placed another folded paper towel over them, moistened it, and sealed it inside a zip lock baggy with an air pocket inside, and placed it in my bedroom on shaded shelf.

I checked them after 5 days, but they are yet only swelling up but with no germination yet. They may not germinate for all I know, as I have never tried it with a store bought pepper, and as far as I know, those peppers couldve been processed somehow after being picked in El Salvador, Chile or wherever, leaving the seeds not viable.

What should I expect if they do grow? I'd assume they were all planted together in a huge field with poblanos all of the same variety, so they shouldnt end up as some strange hybrid I wouldnt think.

Are MOST Poblanos usually as large as the ones I described?

Have you tried growing seeds from store bought peppers?

Comments (53)

Sponsored