SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
on_greenthumb

Driveway Options

on_greenthumb
11 years ago

My husband and I are in the process of re-doing the house/yards. I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts around driveway options.

My story: I live in a suburban type neighbourhood next to a lake (I'm about 15 houses away). My single-width driveway runs up the side of my house on the North-east size. It's long enough to park 4, maybe 5 cars, end to end. It's 2-3 feet away from my next door neighbour's driveway (we have a strip of grass separating the driveways). Most of the driveways are either asphalt or gravel in the neighbourhood. Our is asphalt, but in terrible condition with no edging. Over the freeze/thaw cycles, we get significant amount of heaving (I'm guessing because of the high water table - if you dig down 2 feet, usually you start to get pooling). Ours is only different from the other neighbours with asphalt because ours is likely older (but don't know how old). Currently we store a camping trailer and a utility trailer on the driveway, but have found another place for the utility trailer. The camper will likely stay. The driveway ends at the back fence with an oversized gate (to get the utility trailer through and stored away). I'll get a pic taken today after work.

My issues: Freeze/Thaw cycles are significant in my area. No edging means grass grows up and over the driveway by up to 8 inches (we edge it once a year back to the beginning), home is a fairly cottagey style since this area used to be cottage country. It's a fairly large driveway, so I'd like to keep costs down. Also, because of all the cracks, we've got greenery coming up and through in rivers...LOL

Options we've looked at: Gravel, Interlocking, Grass Pavers, Asphalt....We've even thought of gravel with a small planting strip between the tire areas for low ground cover.

I think we're leaning towards gravel because of the cost, the ease of maintenance with the heaving.....Are there things I can do to stop the grass overgrowth? Is there anything I haven't considered - it's likely going to be a considerable effort to handle this and I don't necessarily want to re-do it in 5 years.

Comments (11)