SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
songsparrow22

Need ideas re driveway drainage options

songsparrow22
9 years ago

I have a landscape problem with what seems to be no great solution.

We have drainage problems on our property. The water table is very high, which leads to water incursion into our basement during times of heavy rain (mostly in the spring and to a lesser extent in the fall).

The second problem area (and the subject of this post) is our driveway. Our driveway slopes down from the road - I measured it with a level this evening and the surface at the garage end of the driveway is 13" lower than at the road. During heavy rains, the driveway funnels water towards our garage and it floods the garage and halfway up the driveway. I think that having all of this water next to the house also adds to the water coming into the basement.

The driveway is asphalt but currently with a lot of cracks. It very much needs to be repaved, but I didn't want to do that until I sort out how to handle the drainage issue.

The driveway is about 50' long and 20' wide. At the east end is the road, and at the west end is a two-car garage. The north side abuts our neighbor's property. The south side is a few feet from our house, but the grade rises steeply several feet up to the house.

The ideal would be to regrade the driveway so that it slopes towards the road and the water runs off into the road and down to the storm sewer.

However, that would mean raising the grade about 20" at the garage. We would have to raise the roof of the garage and add courses of concrete block, and raise the floor with gravel and concrete. I'm not certain if the town would permit that, because the garage does not meet current zoning regulations but it is grandfathered in. (Plus, the garage is not useful to park our cars in because it is really a tight squeeze for two cars and columns down the center mean we can't park one car in the center. It's effectively a large storage shed, and I considered bricking it in, but my husband does not want to do that because he believes doing so would reduce the property value.)

I imagine this would all be quite expensive.

Are there any other options? I know that some people recommend drains, but there is really nowhere to drain the water to - the garage sits only about 2 feet away from our side and rear property lines, and the third side of the garage abuts a concrete patio that runs between the house and the garage. There may have once been a dry well placed under the concrete patio, because there is a pipe that runs from the side of the driveway in that direction; but if it was there, it is no longer effective.

Any thoughts, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!