SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris0831

Help with flower bed drainage

chris0831
10 years ago

Greetings allâ¦.

I am not sure if I am even in the right forum, but IâÂÂll take a shot at it. I need some help with drainage around my house in the flower beds. First a little background. The house is about 60 years oldâ¦a single story ranch with a basement. The soil over all has good drainage and the flower beds that go around the two sides of the house where I am having the worst problems is about 7 feet deep. The house has no gutters on it because I live in a heavily forested area and would spend all my time cleaning them out.

Okâ¦now for the problem and some of you already know what I am going to sayâ¦.during a heavy rain I will get seepage into the basement. It can be quite pronounced depending on how much rain is involved. Now. around the outer edge of that flower bed is a swale that runs parallel with the house. My father originally dug it in. The bottom of the swale is lined with bricks and itâÂÂs at a slope of 1â every 20âÂÂ. Once the water gets to it, it travels quite nicely around to the back of the house and down the hill. The flower beds basically form one side of the swale. Here in lies the problem. The drainage of the soil is such that the water from the roof during a heavy rain percolates down through the strata before it has a chance to get carried awayâ¦hence the basement flooding.

What I would like to do is cover the bed with plastic and put a layer of river rocks over it about 4â deep. My problem is that I have mature azaleas and camellias all though this bed, just about at the drip line. I guess the bottom line is how big a hole do I need to leave in the plastic at each plant in order for it to get enough water.
All and any thoughts will be entertained. IF pics would help, IâÂÂll add some tonight. Thanks everyone!

Comments (72)