SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shmo_gw

Just Stumped with design ideas

SHMO
11 years ago

I have been putting this aside since building my house, nearly 5 years ago. It has been a thorn in my side since I broke ground. HOW DO I WANT TO DESIGN THIS BACKYARD!

Originally, I intended on building a large free-form planting bed that would run the length of my yard. It is intended to divide my yard from the adjacent property where my business is located. I am not a fan of fences in general, so I have somewhat designed for a green belt buffer and put that portion of the plan into place.

Where I am struggling drastically is in regards to the hardscape. I originally thought I would place a deck off the back of the house. I also envisioned a free form stamped concrete patio below the deck with a fire ring and a meandering path leading to the gate/arbor. Plantings around that would finish up the project. Easy, right? HOWEVER, now I am second guessing my entire plan. I am starting to wonder if a larger patio with wide steps leading from the house would be more inviting than a deck. There is roughly 2 feet of rise from grade up to the house. I am also wondering if there are aspects that I could add for visual interest and practicality that have completely slipped my imagination. I am hoping some of you can chime in with any suggestions. This will be my first complete landscape design. I don't want to choose poorly.

A little family background and intended use for this area are as follows:

I am 40ish...wife in her early 30's and a 5 year old daughter. We are all active and enjoy the outdoors. The yard will be used for family gatherings, campfires, child/family play and BBQ get togethers. We have access to large grass areas and playgrounds nearby.

If anyone has ideas or input, I would really like to hear them.

Thanks in advance,

SHMO

Comments (20)