SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
javyd

Problem with small grains near other veggies

javyd
11 years ago

Hello,

With the heat wave we have right now in the DC area, I've noticed some off-white fuzzy-looking spots (powdery mildew?) along the entire length of some of the leaves on my small grains (purplestraw wheat, drago triticale, bere barley, purple barely, blue-tinged wheat, Sonora wheat, and jet barley - all, to the best of my knowledge, heirloom/open-pollinated types). I sprayed with Bayer Advanced 3-In-1 Insect, Disease & Mite Control yesterday and again today, along with neem oil today as well, when I saw these spots on additional plants (I first found them on just the purplestraw wheat). Since this is my first attempt to grow grain (which I plan to use for human consumption in future years), I was wondering if anyone could help me save my crop, or, at the very least, minimize the chance it will spread to my veggies. I have turnips, carrots, lettuce, spinach, chard, and pak choi planted right next to them, with the grains and the veggies all planted in a 4'x5' square-foot-style garden. My garden is bordered on the north and east sides by a 6' fence and partially protected from the wind by my townhouse on the west. I also have additional purple barley and Sonora wheat, along with some Frassinetto wheat, planted about 6 feet to the west of the infected varieties along with some beets and radishes.

In case it helps any, I noticed last summer what I thought to be powdery mildew on my Concord, Catawba, and Niagara grape vines located about 5 feet away from these grains. I've attached a picture of one of the blue-tinged wheat plants. Let me know if there is any additional information I can provide. Thanks.

(Moderators: please move this thread if it would be more appropriate in another area. Thanks.)

Comment (1)