SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erin_farr

Landscape Design help for front yard!

HI everyone,

I posted last year along with some photos regarding this garden. We moved in at the end of summer so I wasn't able to do much but I did make note of some of the things said.

I'm in the process of ripping up the existing gardens and trucking in some new fresh soil, redesigning (if needed) and planting.

The island shown in the photos is in the process of being returned to grass. I've cut down the dead tree but the roots from the trees and shrubs have grown together so we are going to be pulling them out via truck. I'm sorry for the inconvenience for this getting in the way of the photos but its all I can do right now.

The gardens by the house only had about 2 inches of topsoil ontop of clay and house building debris. I would like to get plants and soil as soon as I can. Please note that the boxwood and other shrub in these gardens are ones I don't necessarily plan on keeping. I just didn't want a big pile of dirt until I had a plan to plant!

I'm wondering if I should extend the garden out to come past and run along the pouch and walkway or if I should just leave them the size they are. I'm also clueless on if I should be trees in or shrubs and what kinds I should be putting in.

These gardens get mostly sun (about 9am to 1pm) they are partially blocked by wind. I previously mentioned I have lots of clay but I am adding about 8-10 inches of good double screened soil. I would LOVE any help anyone can provide. I am not a big fan of formal gardens so would like to aim to a more informal approach. I also really like foiliage as opposed to flowers. Ornamental grasses are fun. Maintainance isn't an issue. I think that covers everything...

Please help!!

{{gwi:28718}}

{{gwi:28719}}

{{gwi:28721}}

{{gwi:28722}}

{{gwi:28723}}

{{gwi:28724}}

{{gwi:28726}}

Comments (6)