SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donn_

Ferns in containers?

donn_
17 years ago

I tried this on the Fern Forum, but it's slow, and I have to deal with these plants soon.

Due to replacements for broken plants, I find myself with a plethora of ferns. While I have plenty of shade beds for all of them, I thought I'd like to do 1 or 2 large containers with some of them. I have 24" diameter double wall containers, which are 20.5" inner diameter, and 18" tall. I estimate their capacity to be ~20 gallons.

The plants I have are 3" potted Dryopteris erythrosora 'Brilliance,' Athyrium niponicum 'Ghost,' Athyrium niponicum 'Pictum' and bareroot Matteuccia struthiopteris.

Questions:

Winter hardiness...these are all listed at a low range of zones 2-5, with 'Brilliance' being the least hardy. I'm in zone 7. I could move the pots to a protected area for winter, but will that be necessary? My experience with other plants indicates a loss of 2 zones of hardiness for containerized plants. Will ferns behave the same way?

My soil mix would be a blend of finished and partially finished compost with some MiracleGro Potting mix. Is this a sufficient medium?

What sort of groupings and spacings would you recommend for these ferns? I also have both medium-height and short shade-loving grasses, like Chasmanthium, Deschampsia, Luzula, Sesleria and Carex muskingumensis which could be added, in addition to 'Palace Purple' Heuchera.

Any ideas, warnings or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (5)