SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrmaxgee

good plants for a low light, indoor corner

Max Gross
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I live in a small NYC apartment that has four south facing windows that are unobstructed by other buildings - meaning a brightly lit apartment with very strong sunlight.

I'd like to create a little green oasis in the corner is adjacent to the window bank. The area receives very little, if any, direct sunlight and is shady compared to the rest of the room, and the air is still (i.e. no drafts).

Currently, a gigantic elephant ear that I literally tugged out of the ground from a friends place in the Berkshires lives there and is thriving in the light conditions. While I love the plant, it's growth is too prolific, and the leaves touching the walls are causing water stains. So I'm going to overwinter it and find an outdoor home for it - likely in my mom's garden in Brooklyn.

Does anyone have suggestions on a replacement(s)? I am intrigued by planting a little fern garden, but am worried they may require more humidity. Can I plant more than one fern in a container?

P.S. -- My wife is very insistent on avoiding so-called "doctors office plants" (birds of paradise, wax plants, anything you'd see thriving in office light conditions)- so the more eclectic, the better. Thanks to everyone for their input!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz