SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cpliss

Al's Mix in Chicago -- without a car

cliss
13 years ago

Hi, all...

I'm new here, having recently decided to move from "owning a few houseplants" to "owning more houseplants than I really have room for." :) I've been reading with interest the discussions on container mixes, but I'm having a difficulty that I haven't seen addressed yet. I live in an apartment on the South Side of Chicago (in Hyde Park), and I don't own a car, nor do I have any car-owning friends who could drive me around for a "container mix scavenger hunt". This makes tracking down various ingredients a huge challenge -- the only place I've found that sells Turface Allsport, for instance, is in a (for me) remote suburb, as are most of the serious gardening, nursery, and feed stores. And renting a car just to get the ingredients is more expensive than just having things shipped!

I did have to rent a car last weekend for another reason, so I did a little extra driving around and picked up some things. When I got home, though, I discovered that the pine bark fines were infested with some kind of insect larvae -- something I'm really not able to deal with in my apartment.

So, I'm now trying to find somewhere to get pine bark/fir bark fines, using public transportation, in Chicago... Anyone have any suggestions?

Possible local resources: My local grocery store has been known to sell Hoffman's, Black Gold, Schultz, and Espoma brand potting products, so I might be able to order something... Does anyone know if these brands make anything appropriate? (Black Gold sells a fir-based Orchid Bark; has anyone seen their fine or medium-size variations?) There's also an Ace hardware, but they don't have anything in stock, and I don't see anything on the main Ace website that looks appropriate. Am I missing something? (If I special order something, I'll feel committed to buying it, so I'm hoping someone can give me enough information to be confident I'm getting the right thing before I order...)

Comments (34)