SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilikewinter

Blueberry not doing ... anything

ilikewinter
15 years ago

I have a couple of blueberries in a large-ish pot. It may be too deep for the blueberries, since they are shallow rooted (didn't find this out until later). They seemed to be growing and doing fine, but then they just stopped doing anything. They've been this way for about two and a half months or more. They haven't gotten very tall, they just started putting out a bunch of leaves, but the leaves are still quite small. It's like something froze the blueberry in time.

There is also some browning on a couple of leaves (not too much). The soil I used in the pot had a high percentage of peat and I'm not sure what else now, but peat was the main ingredient (70% or more). There is about a 2-3 inch layer of pine needles on top. The soil seems to drain easily, but it stays moist for a very very long time (3 weeks to a month or more). It's not soaking wet- within a few hours of watering, the soil gets to a nice sort of fluffy and moist consistency and then stays that way forever.

I tried adding white vinegar to the water once, but haven't done it since because it hasn't needed watering. Also, I wasn't quite sure what the right proportion of vinegar to water would be (takes about 2-4 gallons of water to water the pot, depending on dryness).

Any ideas of what is going on? It generally looks healthy.

Comments (8)