SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yellowthumb

How to balance your relationship and gardening.

yellowthumb
13 years ago

Hi,

Looks like I am the first one who is writing about this, or maybe the first one having this kind of problems.

I am having a relationship problem with my wife recently. We getting married for over 10 years now and we have a two year old boy. He is very active and needs lots of attention, and he sticks to me all the time. Even our in laws are here, he would still sticks to me all the time. We both work and she is working pretty far from home. So she has to go to work off the regular hours, from 9:00am to 7:00pm. I am from 8:00 to 4:00pm

Basically she complained that I am spending too little time with her and talking too little to her. She told me she doesn't want to have this kind of life all her life time. She couldn't see the base in my marriage anymore.

I love gardening, especially container gardening. That takes time, I would say 45 minutes a day. Is this too much? How you handle your hobby and your relationships?

Here is the basic routine I do each day. As you can see I am with the boy most of the time. Whenever I take a breath, I have to run to care the plants, I guess that's the part she is not happy about.

In the morning, after getting up, my son still sticks to me, so I have to do the diaper and play with him for a while. I have to feed him, but not all the time, sometimes, wife will do it, or we do it together.

In the afternoon, rushing to pick up my son at 4:00pm. After picking up, I walk him for about an hour then cook, and wait for wife to come home. We are always looking forward to see her coming home. Around 7:00pm, then we sit together in the dinner table. Most of the time, I still have to feed him, sometimes, I feed him before wife coming home just to have a peaceful meal.

After dinner, I usually walk my son for another 45 minutes, that's close to 8:30, then I feed him milk, normally this time, I have to water my plants for over half an hour to 45 minutes. Then the boy would be with my wife. I admit, there are about ten days that I throw Richard to my wife after dinner at 7:30pm, and I planted vegetables or changed the containers. But many times, even I am working in the garden, I still have to care with my son as he sticks to me all the time. He would cry to me through the window. So wife would ask him to stay with me in the garden.

Then it's time to put my son to sleep at 9:30pm. He needs my company to sleep, otherwise, he screams, we have been training him for about three weeks. That was awful experience, I finally give up. After my son sleeps, that's about 10:20 to 10:45. And it's my wife's time to sleep. I am reading and working a little bit. Well I am a programmer, so I have to catch up with technologies.

In the night, I have to share the bedroom with my son, cause he always wakes up in the 3:00 or 4:00 am and looking for me. My wife is a light sleeper, once disturbed, very hard to fall asleep again. So I just share the bed room with him and calm him down once he cries.

Obviously, I am spending lots of time with son alone, my wife is not participating too much. But it's not her fault as she is not a physically strong person, and always come home exhausted. So I walk my son alone.

Now, what do you think I should do? Am I spending too much time on gardening? (30 minutes to 45 minutes on average day). I am not a very romantic person. Could be hard working, but not romantic. I see guys do little but their wifes are very happy. What you guys do to have both happy plants and good marriage.

Thanks all, I wish everybody has a happy life

YT

Comments (25)