SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
inlimbo_gw

How is YOUR garden etiquette, or comments I remember....

inlimbo
15 years ago

Picking up on upnort's Garden Etiquette post....

Two reactions of visitors to my garden have stuck with me.

Long ago, I showed a friend one of my early perennial gardens. Her first reaction was - "Are those weeds?" Now, there certainly were weeds, but there were lot of flowers in bloom as well -- I sort of thought it looked pretty good. Thinking about her general way in the world, I realized my friend tends to see the negative side of things - and her garden reaction was entirely consistent.

Recently, I had a designer come to my yard - I wanted advice on how to improve my front plantings -- I call them the green blob. We chatted about what to do and I invited him to the back yard, saying that the front gives NO evidence a gardener lives here, but the back was better.

Rounding the side, his first reaction was, "Wow!"

Now, I have to tell you that one word made all the work, sweat, and frustration of the last 12 years disappear in an instant. What a nice gift to a gardener! It made me step back and see the garden through someone else's eyes.

And I liked it.

So, when I visit, I always find something to say Wow about -- I hope it has the same effect that it did for me.

What comments have made you feel great about your own gardens?

Comments (30)