SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
squirrellypete

So...my Mom wants me to get a smart phone (funny story)

squirrellypete
11 years ago

I posted this in my local forum but thought the Veggie growers might get a kick out of it -- My B-day's coming up and my Mom who is a recent convert to smart phones is pushing for me to get one as well. I'm usually home and can hop on my PC but I'll admit they are nice to have on trips.

I have one of those older small clamshell flip phones that are getting harder and harder to find and I have been very hard on it. It gets knocked out of my magnetic belt case, dropped on gravel, left out in the cold if I take it off while working in the greenhouse, driven over (yes, the tires of my truck actually ran over it!) when the phone once fell out of my truck door unbeknownst to me. All kinds of dreadful things.

I've been trying to explain this to her and she just tells me "oh it'll be fine, you can just get an otter box for it!" Well I may have finally gotten through to her when I just told her this story:

I tilled up the other half of my veggie garden a few days ago, tilling leaves into the soil. My tiller vibrates my body all over the place and it's hard to steer, especially in semi-wet sinking soil. After finishing up and heading in for the day just before dark my hand brushed against my phone case which was still attached to me only I realized there was no phone in it. I checked all of the normal places one might lose a phone....your pants pocket, the car, the greenhouse, etc....My husband kept calling it.....nothing. Finally a horrible realization hit me and I told him "follow me and bring your phone". We walked outside to the veggie garden and he called it.....the garden started faintly ringing lol. I ran through the gate and started trying to hone in on the sound. Finally got close and started digging in with my bare hands like someone frantically looking for buried treasure. Found my phone 5 inches deep nicely tilled into the soil with the other ammendments. The front had scrape marks from where the tines had obviously come in contact with it. Amazingly they did not destroy it!

A rough and tumble gardener like me should definitely not be allowed to own a smart phone lol.

Comments (17)