SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19712636

Grading around foundation - what to do with this river rock?

User
15 years ago

I have a basement, and a lot of water makes it into my sump due to where my house sits. I've also come to realize recently that, in many cases, the grading around my foundation needs to be fixed as it slants towards the house.

The biggest culprit is my deck, which wraps around two sides of the house. Looking under there, I can see that the ground is recessed from the surrounding areas by a notable amount. I also see what looks to be an old flowerbed hanging out about 3' from the foundation on both sides (basically a 4" stack of wood edging). The entire ground under the deck is covered in large pebbles (I am calling them river rock, but maybe that's the wrong term) and the area right around the foundation is particularly thick with it.

I have to imagine that covering the ground near the foundation with rocks and damming the water in there with a flowerbed is not a good thing in terms of drainage. The problem is - I will have to really mess up the deck (which is screwed down) to get under there to do this. I MAY be able to rip out the 'flowerbed' edging without doing much to the actual deck. But getting all of the rocks out may be trickier. So, after all of this typing - my question is simply how important is it to get those rocks out before I start building the area up with topsoil? Will they still have a significant impact in allowing water deeper down if I have several inches of topsoil covering them? All I hope to do is redirect as much water as possible away from the house so that it seeps in further from the foundation.

Sorry for the long winded post, and thanks in advance for your feedback.

Jeff

Comments (3)