SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caterpa

foundation height and grade

Jeff Cater
4 years ago
Just a couple weeks or so away from getting my build started......it is an ARG plan and I've reached to to him on this as well.

I own sloped lot. It is 2.24 Ac. The front 30 feet or so back from the road is essentially flat then it falls off fairly abruptly over a distance of approximately 10 feet to 15 feet. After the drop off it becomes relatively flat once again. Essentially I have a stepped lot.

My foundation guy came out the other day and measured with his laser. The distance of the lower step of the lot is approximately 13 to 16 feet below the grade of the road and by extension, the upper step of the lot.

My plan is to place the footings the foundation just below the current grade of the lower step of the lot. I need to do frost footings. But most of the rest of the foundation can be covered with enough full to protect from frost.

In order to have essentially a straight flat driveway from the road into my garage, I’m going to need to have concrete front foundation walls in the range of 13 feet tall. This is going to add considerable cost to the project.

I’m considering modifying things a bit however I’m not sure whether this is the way to go or not.

I’m considering having the walls of the foundation at the front of the house only about 10 feet tall. The obvious problem this creates is is it places the floor of my garage about 3 to 4 feet below where the road is and where my driveway would start. This causes concern about drainage issues. I certainly do not want water flowing down the driveway into my house particularly the garage. I’ve considered tackling this in one of two ways or both simultaneously. That is grading in the first half of the drive down and then up slightly to go into the garage. I think we can grade the lot well enough to do this. At the lowest portion of this down then up driveway I would place drainage grates within the concrete to divert water and then use tile to take this water around the garage and down the grade.

The guy doing my foundation is very reluctant to have the garage be below the grade of the road. I think the excavator has less concerns.

My question for you is, what do you think of this idea? Or would you try to tackle this any other way?

Thanks for any input.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!