SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vicki_ca

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

vicki_ca
18 years ago

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

That phrase has been running through my mind after reading several questions here and elsewhere. It started a few days ago when someone at another forum (not at Gardenweb) wanted to know whether she could buy ready grown tulips and plant them around her trees. My mental response was, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

25 years ago, the previous owner of my home decide to plant coastal redwood trees here. Yes, they survive here, but there is a difference between surviving and thriving. Their roots spread far and wide, sucking up moisture wherever it can be found, and they yellow during our arid summers because we are too far inland for them to receive the coastal fog that causes them to thrive farther west. Besides that, they get HUGE, and the original homeowners in this development planted way too many of them on smallish lots here. Just because they could, doesn't mean they should have.

With the right selections, it is possible to get the look of lush English rose gardens in Las Vegas or Phoenix; and it is possible to grow desert gardens in humid Georgia. But just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

As a newbie gardener years ago, I wanted one of everything I saw. There is an amazing array of plants that thrive in zone 9, and I am fortunate to be able to find almost anything I want in Bay Area nurseries. But just because I can grow all of those things, doesn't mean I should cram them all into my suburban lot ... even though there were several years when that is exactly what I tried to do! Eventually, the lack of cohesive design hurt my eyeballs! So I've forced discipline upon myself and culled out some things out. Now things are looking better.

From a design perspective, many things are possible, but certainly there are times when just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Can you think of design related examples?

Comments (18)