SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
specialmn1

Al's Mix...perlite vs. vermiculite + more newbie ?s

Mary4b
17 years ago

I'm wanting to do Al's mix for large containers, although I'm still hunting down the pine bark fines. I have a lot of vermiculite already and wonder if I can use that instead of the perlite. I think I have the medium grade vermiculite.

Also, my planters are old solid metal waste baskets, the kind that were used in public schools for years. They are 17" deep, 12" across at the bottom and 16" at the top. I already drilled about 10 drainage holes in the bottom, using a 1/4" drill bit.

Before reading this forum, my main concern was the weight of the containers and cost of the mix. I cut 1" thick styrofoam sheeting and shoved it 1/2 way down into the container to create a false floor...I drilled holes into the styrofoam sheet and thought I'd cover that with plastic w/ holes, screen mesh or landscape fabric to prevent soil loss..... My thinking was that I'm only doing annuals in most of these planters, and that I could save $ by not filling the entire piece. But assuming that the roots might make their way through the holes and into the open air below, maybe this isn't a good idea? (I do have packing peanuts I could use, or possibly some pinecones, to fill up the bottoms...) Let me know what you recommend, if anything....if you don't, do I need to cover those drainage holes in the wastebaskets with some mesh, or landscape fabric to prevent soil loss?

Finally, is a wick necessary in a pot this deep where the roots have quite a bit of bottom room?

Thank you so much, I know I have a lot of questions, and I appreciate your help. This is the first time I've done container plantings. As I mentioned, I plan to plant mostly annuals, but I did think some tomatoes, cukes and zuchinis might do well, also. Any different recommendations for those?

Comments (4)