SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joshno

Pepper/Al's mix container experiment(with pics)

12 years ago

I wanted to do a semi-scientific organic vs chemical in containers test. So I got 6 bell peppers, and made up 3 in Al's 5-1-1 mix with some hydrated lime, and the other 3 in roughly:

75% home made compost, it was largely out of grass clippings.

10% perlite

10% vermiculite

5% worm castings

The left ones are the compost mixture.

{{gwi:43470}}{{gwi:43471}}
{{gwi:43472}}
{{gwi:43473}}
{{gwi:43474}}

As you can see, the peppers in the organic mixture look healthier in every way. Planting method was the same, by knocking off 80% of the retail potting mix.

The watering schedule is similar, about every 1-3 days.

I water the compost peppers a bit less often since they don't dry out quite as quickly, though the difference isn't as much as I expected.

I feed the 5-1-1 peppers around every 3 days with foliage pro at 1/2tsp. per gallon.

I've not fed the compost peppers nearly as often, maybe every 1-2 weeks with fish emulsion. And once with a compost tea/fish emulsion/thrive mixture.

So what might be the problem with the "chemical" peppers? As you can see the 5-1-1 peppers are lighter. I'd tend to think it's not a nitrogen deficiency, but possibly something tying it up.

The leaves are also cupped up, I've read in some places that that could mean too much water?

I did put in some hydrated lime in the 5-1-1 mix. I'd surmise 1/2 a cup for those 3 10" containers. Maybe too much?

Comments (18)