SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ankh_gw

Functional Retaining Wall & Pavers Over Aggregate?

ankh
16 years ago

Okay, two questions, and please - I need lots of input!

I have a long retaining wall (say, 350 sq ft in total) behind my home, which sits on a wooded hill. The existing wall is made of concrete block and is beginning to crumble (they appear to have made it completely vertical rather than sloping in toward the top of the hill). Beyond the wall is woods and, pretty far down the hill, a neighbor's patio that, though wonderfully planted and scaped, is rarely used. In other words, no one sees this wall, and certainly not me in any meaningful way. I want to build a patio and put some plantings in the backyard space, and the garden design guy was concerned about the stability of the wall if putting in a patio. So, we're discussing the need to replace. I know that doing a outcropping-type stone stacked wall will about double the project cost for the overall landscaping project (which contemplates front, sides and back - a lot of work), and I have no real desire to do that for a wall I will never see. Going to those large round boulders will only trim about $3k from the cost.

So, what are some much-less-lower-cost alternatives? I hate those interlocking stone things, and I would guess they are not the least expensive option, anyway (though if they are, I would very possibly do it). Given the damp and shade, timber walls are probably a very bad idea. How do veneered concrete block walls compare price-wise? Stuccoing the concrete? Any other treatments for concrete block that are no-maintenance? I suppose that if I only care about the appearance of the top of the thing, which is on my back space, I could top wtih stone? I feel a little guilty offering up a (new) ugly wall to my neighbors, but a) they're at least 70 feet away and down a hill and through trees and their own landscape trees, and b) they put downlights in my trees to light their driveway (an easement over my land) without asking, so they don't seem too terribly concerned about these things flowing in the other direction.

Second question - hopefully shorter. I have a brick front walk leading to an aggregate stoop. I hate the aggregate. If I want a new material, do I have to rip out the whole stoop? Can I put pavers over the aggregate? Can you remove the aggregate without removing the whole stoop?

Comments (2)