SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daltonbengal

Redoing easiest retaining wall first, can I remove vertical 4x4's?

We have made some progress since original post Feb 2017, but still a lot of work to do.

Below, Feb 2017

Below: September 2017. Hemlock, barberry, yew, small evergreen, 4 shrubs raised on right of door removed. Several others trimmed or removed from top of retaining wall farthest from camera. Removal was gradual, there was no perceivable change in stormwater runoff as greenery was removed. I'm not sure if the camera shows it, but it looks cleaner.

In Feb, Yardvaark kindly suggested the solution below. We wanted to start with the damaged wall, but could not due to unexpected budget constraint.

We started removal of dead, dying and overgrown clutter to reduce the labor and make it easier to imagine the result. I pulled out 2 of the vertical 4 x 4's and discovered that there is not any edging against the pavers on the entire curved section of about 15 ft.

I can easily grade the soil to slope down to the pavers and eliminate the vertical 4 x 4's, Then plant groundcover (dwarf mondo grass?) to stop erosion, mulch and be done with it for now but I don't want to send rainwater to the patio.

The evergreen tree on top of the damaged horizontal 4x4 wall is being cut down next week.

Questions When I remove the vertical 4x4's, what do I use for edging against the pavers to avoid sinking?

Should I enlarge the trench where the 4x4's sit and put in a french drain? The area isnt that big and most of it will drain to the left, away from the walk. The section from the air conditioner to the door, and a bit in the front will only drain to the patio, maybe 10 sq ft.. Or rocks? Or slope the soil and leave the 4x4's until the damaged retaining wall is replaced and put in a course or 2 of the same product?

Next week we also plan to lift the pavers and add sand to get rid of the belly where stormwater sits. Suggestions?

Thank you for looking. April

Comments (15)