SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sloedjinn

Can I add more boho without adding more clutter? Living room re-do

sloedjinn
5 years ago

To start, I would describe myself as a maximalist that abhors clutter and my husband as a minimalist that loves color (especially hot pink). I love color, tribal/oriental rugs, houseplants, seventies style and throw pillows. He loves the color and tolerates my houseplants and throw pillows. But I’m not big on ‘stuff’, like things lying around just to decorate. I hate gray, beige, greige. Not a big fan of black and white either. I consider gray of any shade to be particularly ugly. Also, you will never, not ever, convince me I should have a neutral sofa. Just not going to happen.

Our living room isn’t quite working for us as is. In particular, I have these green IKEA chairs that everyone hates. Not even the cat will sit in them. Seriously, I’ve had my whole family over and people were squishing themselves onto the sofa, clustered around the table and island and the dang green chairs were empty. Don’t know what it is about them, but they just don’t get used. I would love to replace them with a second small scale sofa. I would not be adverse to replacing the pink sofa and getting two new sofas as well, but that will take more time to save up for.

About the condo and the room. It’s a loft style small condo in downtown Chicago, in a converted office building. I have 11 foot ceilings and the windows you see in the picture are the only ones, so the condo is darker than I would like. The ventilation duct you see in the one picture is also a non-negotiable. From talking to other unit owners, they can be hidden, but you lose some ceiling height and it’s very expensive. As you can see, it’s open concept livingroom/kitchen/dining room, all in one space.

What we use this room for: mostly lounging on the sofa and reading, enjoying the fire place. We don’t have a TV in this room and don’t want one. We have a tv in another room. I have had my family over, but it’s not often. We don’t entertain a lot and like it that way (we are both extreme introverts). I love the pink sofa, but as you can imagine, it’s not comfortable for two adults to attempt to lie down on the one small scale sofa. So, ideally, we’d replace the two green chairs with a sofa.

The Pink sofa is the CB2 club sofa. I wish I could just buy a second one, but they’ve discontinued that color. Also, the bookcases along the wall opposite the fireplace (the things with the vintage wallpaper panels on the doors) should probably go. They’re completely empty inside and not needed, but I find it hard to imagine how to arrange the room without something on that wall. If I do anything about this now, my budget is not very large at all, but can get a bit larger if I have the patience to save up.

My questions are these:

1. Buy a second club sofa in a different color? They have a gold that I like very much. Or two club sofas in the gold and use the pink sofa in the TV room? Buy a second club sofa in any color I want and have slipcovers made for both? or buy a second sofa completely different from the first sofa, so long as it is similar scale?

2. I know the pink sofa doesn’t play well with the navy rug, but I think it would help a lot if the green chairs went away. Am I just fooling myself? I know the simple solution is to get either neutral sofas or a neutral rug, but that, honestly, isn’t going to happen. Also, if I were going to do that, I wouldn’t have to ask for advice. :). I also have another rug I could use, I’ll try and attach a picture below.

3. I do have room here for a second, small scale sofa, right? I wish the fireplace was a foot or two closer to the kitchen because there’s a pretty big chunk of dead space between the back of the sofa and the kitchen, but moving the fireplace would be a big project including significant floor repairs.

4. Do something now, because it bugs the heck out of me every time I look at the unused and unloved green chairs? Or wait until I have a bigger budget?

5. How do I up the boho without adding a bunch of stuff I don’t want or need? In some ways, I love the room (other than the chairs). In some ways, it feels very uptight and sparse. I know I could strew around a lot more plants and baskets and piles of books and gallery walls. But ugh, you know?

Comments (34)