SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dakine_gw

Ok to plant veggie garden where a flower garden was/is???

dakine
15 years ago

I have a big area right next to my house on the side that was a flower garden by the previous owner. It is mulched and very deep with soil. There are a few flowers that have sprung up. Some of them are the yellow trumpet flowers and the others look like very small upside down grape bundles.

I really want to plant a garden this year and am very excited. We dont have a lot of money to spend at all to do this so I was wondering if it is ok or safe to plant the veggie garden in the fertile garden area where the few flowers are. I'm asking because we can afford the cheaper seeds for tomatoes, onion, carrots, green peppers and stuff but the soil mixes are so expensive!

I am a little worried because last year we had a terrible problem with some type of weed that looked like thin stalks of corn and it grew to like 4 ft!!! Even round up wouldnt kill it. I do have some stuff I bought from a farm store calle CropSmart that kills the most nasty type of stuff but I dont want to harm my veggies if i put it on the weeds that would be near the vegetables.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting