SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emileeg

Bugs hanging around my veggie garden - bad or OK?

emileeg
12 years ago

I haven't seen any really NOTICEABLE damage to my veggie garden, but I'm not sure if these bugs are bad. They mostly just seem to be hanging out, resting on the big squash and bean leaves.

One looks like a yellow ladybug. I googled some pics of mexican bean beetles and bean leaf beetles and it doesn't look like those - the mexican bean beetles area little too plump and the spots are too small, and the bean leaf beetles' spots are too big. It literally looks like a yellow ladybug. The only pest that I think it looks even remotely similar to is a spotted cucumber beetle... maybe. I only saw one, and I would hate to kill a ladybug :(

Another bug I saw was... I think a fly? It's predominantly green, but iridescent. Its head looks like a fly's, but the back end of its body is pointed, almost like dragonfly or some kind of wasp (but not that long). These too also seem to just be hanging out resting on leaves. I googled "Green iridescent fly" and got pictures of the right bug, but no ID. I'm not sure what these are - if they're truly just flies, then I guess they're in my yard because of our dogs and I won't worry about them. But there are a TON of them hanging around in our garden.

The last thing I saw was this little reddish round bug. Tiny, about the size of a small sesame seed. It kind of looked like an aphid (same body shape), but the legs of an aphid looked too long for what I saw. But all the pics I can find of aphids are mega-zoomed-in (for detail), so I'm not sure if they'll look a little different to the naked eye. I also only saw ONE, and aphids seem to hang out in big groups.

And then there are ants everywhere, but they're not really bothering anything except my sickly little planted-too-early okra =P

So I'm not really sure what to do. I don't care if the flies are there if they're not hurting my plants, I don't want to kill any ladybugs, and if it IS a ladybug and the red thing IS an aphid, then he's probably there chowing down on them for me anyways...

Should I do anything or just kind of wait and see? I literally haven't noticed ANY bugs around my garden (except the ants and an occasional fly) until today. The only other things that could be attracting/introducing bugs are pet waste (although they USUALLY do their business well away from the veggie garden), and that we just mulched with straw a week ago.

Comments (11)