SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

OT: My dad's amazing veggie garden

celeste/NH
11 years ago

I know this is the daylily forum and I have hundreds of daylily photos still to show, but just for a moment I want to brag a little about my Dad. I was just at his house yesterday picking BAGS full of vegetables. I left with summer squash, cukes, green beans, lettuce, tomatoes, sugar snap peas and spinach. Dad's garden is so productive that he provides vegetables for all his children, grands and neighbors. He is 89 years of age and broke his hip just 7 months ago but you wouldn't know that if you saw his garden! He also grows asparagus, grapes, berries, rhubarb and herbs. Dad was a signmaker all his life and continued to work making signs into his early 80's but 'retired' to take care of Mom until she got so bad that I took her in 4 years ago. Dad recycles a lot of old signs to make raised beds for the garden so it isn't picture-perfect but his veggies are the most delicious ever!! He has had a garden every year for his entire adult life and vows to have a garden til he dies.

Now you see where my gardening passion comes from!

Celeste

Meet my Dad, Walter....

zucchini and summer squash....

some of the pole bean towers....

These next 3 are like a 'where's Waldo' picture....only it would be 'where's Walt'...haha

those are grapes growing on the arbor in the very back....

He even has tomatoes growing in tubs up on the deck. Notice the recycling again with the saplings he cut down. He turned them into tomato supports.

tomatoes, sugar-snap peas w/ asparagus in background....

with hubby, inspecting the crop...

bush beans and squash...

I feel bad 'showing him off' when he's all sweaty and dirty so here's a picture from last month. That's my hero!

{{gwi:943112}}

Comments (19)