SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northernellie

Oops? Vermiculite & Gritty Mix

northernellie
14 years ago

I read Al's messages, I swear I did. I studied them. A lot. And then what'd I go do? I went brain dead and bought sacks of vermiculite at my local landscaping store and used them in my mix. My rationale was so that my pots would be liftable (some of my plants are big) and it seemed the right coarseness... Now's about the time to slap my forehead. There, done.

Now, of course, I'm reading about vermiculite breaking down quickly, holding too much water thus causing root rot, messing with pH and just plain being useless. On some of my plants I even used it about 50/50 with turface (trees). I put in some coarse bark in some also but now realize that was pointless as well, though it does add visual interest to the mix (is that a SLUG?!), ha ha.

As for other components, I cannot find bark fines locally anywhere (and I've looked up and down), and admittedly I haven't looked for grit yet though we have farm supply stores that probably carry it. I was worried about weight, but maybe I should just toughen up.

So I guess all this boils down to; Is the vermiculite the death knell of my babies? Is not adding grit going to be a problem? Can I just use pure turface and do hydro pot-in-pot (toying with that idea)? Should I just dump all my pots in the dirt garden and start over? I sure would appreciate some guidance.

Appreciatively,

Ellie

Comments (33)