SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biga3723

Okinawan Purple Sweet Potato in containers

BigA3723
12 years ago

My first attempt at sweet potatoes in containers just started using 18 gal rubbermaid containers and 5-1-1 mix. I purchased some 8-20-30 fertilizer with the slips I got from Steele Plant Co and got my okinawan pimple slips from glasshousworks.

I tried various options such as one plant per container and some with two plants. I also varied how much fertilizer used since I read less fertilizer makes better tasting potatoes. Also, the 5-1-1 mix without lime is close to 5 ph which is lowest range of the plants, so I added lime to just a few to see outcome,

My one question concerns the purple vines, they seem to be growing very slow in relation to other varieties. Surprisingly, I moved a little of the soil and there is a blanket of roots from one end to the other after only 3 weeks, even the one container that has 3 vine pieces that had broken off in shipping that I rooted in water and planted in a container. Those tiny pieces are currently only 5 leaves and 4 inches long so far yet have roots everywhere.

The only other curiosity is that there is a color fluctuation from a yellow green to bright green across many different variables. Actually, I have one container with two plants where one is bright green with barely any purple on stems and growing faster and the other one is the normal all purple stems and yellow green leaves.

Everything is growing steadily, but it just seems the bright green ones are vowing a little faster. Is this a normal color fluctuation of this vine?

I can add that I went ahead and got some foliage-pro fertilizer to make sure no minerals were missing and after two uses at 1 tsp per gallon, it seems all the new leaves are brighter green color.

When I made 5-1-1 mix, I found something called Azomite with 66 trace minerals that I added to all containers. Is it possible this is more concentrated in some containers and not others and account for color differences?

Comments (4)