SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bloomingkitchen

Constructing garden bed in yard with zoysia grass

bloomingkitchen
11 years ago

We have a long narrow garden bed running along the side of our garage. It's been edged with timber (4 by 4 treated wood), but the timbers are rotting and need to be replaced. My husband wants to use limestone bricks left from a fireplace re-do, and that's fine with me. But one problem---our yard has zoysia grass (legacy from the previous owner, not our idea!), and I've spent 11 years fighting a mostly losing battle with its tendency to invade the garden. If we simply replace the timbers with the brick, I'll be fighting the zoysia til I keel over. Our local garden center says that the only way to keep zoysia out of the garden is to dig in edging (the black plastic kind) that does down 6 inches and then mulch, mulch, mulch. My husband thinks he can put the brick outside the edging (I say no, the grass will grow under the brick and up between the edging and the brick) or put the brick behind the edging (in which case there will be a black plastic "lip" sticking a third or so of the way up the side of the brick). Any suggestions for how to use the brick AND conquer the zoysia? I'd like to turn the bed into a raised bed (maybe about 8 inches--would hide more of the cinderblock foundation of the garage). I'd be grateful for any help!

Comments (5)