SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa99_gw

Need front yard punch (pic included)

lisa99
15 years ago

Hi all,

I'm hoping for some insight from some of the great designers here. We've moved into our dream home, but the landscaping is what was put in by the builder 8 years ago and it definitely needs some punch.

I'm in a strict HOA so even though the front yard is tiny there must be two trees in the front. Previous owners chose Bradford Pears, but we're open to replacing them since they're such weak trees. Replacement (if we took that step) must be hardwood.

The arborvitaes are outa there and I think the holly is out of balance so would like to see it go as well.

All of the shrubs are dwarf Indian Hawthorne that bloom white. Don't yet know the color of the crepe myrtles.

House faces due east. The corner where the garage and house meet get about 3 - 4 hours of sun, but is in dense shade balance of the day.

The look I'm wanting is more 'natural'. Curving lines, layered plantings, some moss rocks "planted" in a few spots. Unfortunately I have to maintain some grass in the yard....but the amt of grass can be less than I have now. Location is Frisco, TX, zone 8a, soil leans to alkaline and is clay. I don't have the budget to do anything to the driveway right now, but wish I could!! Also we'll be doing the tear out and reinstallation ourselves so can spend more on larger, more mature plants.

I would like to stay with variations of green, mixed with ornamental grasses with splashes of color here and there. We'll be saving the wild colors and masses of roses and perennials for the backyard :-)

{{gwi:16435}}

Any help is greatly appreciated. I know the look I'm going for but don't have a clue what specific plans to put where for the best effect so thank you in advance for any help and advice!

Lisa

Comments (6)