SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bavitha_v

New Homeowner needs help with grooming front yard (pics included)

Bee Vee
7 years ago

Hi all!

I'm an absolute beginner at gardening and needed some help in figuring out what (if anything) needs to be done to our new front yard. I've included some pics along with thoughts on what I think of the various elements in our yard.

There's a lot going on here. I like the red shrub. I also like the green shrub that is on the bottom right (some kind of pine?) . But I don't like how the red shrub and the pine(?) blend into each other. I would like them to be more "contained" and maintain their own identities.

There are a lot of other shrubs all over the yard as well. The lawn on the right side is our neighbor's yard.

We also have a tree which I think is a weeping blue atlas cedar. I don't like how it creeps all over the front yard. I want to cut off its branches and make it look more contained. I would also prefer grass instead of the gravel that is on the ground under the tree. I wouldn't mind the gravel if there were some lawn ornaments there - or perhaps big stones?

The green plant on the right (which i think is Ivy?) is plentiful. We also have it in several places in our backyard. I don't like it as a ground covering. And would like to make it look more contained.

Those are my thoughts on the pictures. But I'm not sure where to start or how to execute my ideas. My initial thought was to chop everything off and plant a lawn, but then I realized there's a lot of interesting stuff there that I can probably leverage and make into a beautiful cohesive looking garden.

What do you guys think? I also wanted to see what you would change (if anything) if you were presented with this garden! Thanks in advance!

Comments (12)