SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jc_james_cook

ISO help with undestanding spring prep

JC_James_Cook
13 years ago

I'm not exactly a newbie. I helped when growing up, and have had my own small backyard plot for a few years now. The family didn't really do spring gardening growing up, and I'm struggling with that a bit. Hoping to find some help here.

So, Zone 5 south side of Kansas City area, it's to wet to turn over the soil, but all my research says I should have my spring stuff out already or get it out now. Say lettuce and snap peas. As I have a small spot, I like to pack it in, not exactly square foot gardening, but something approaching that. If I get lettuce and peas in, I'll not be able to till later. So what I do not understand is how do you manage wet spring ground, planting and turning it over exactly? I've tilled too early the last couple of years, and that just doesn't work. If I wait until about Mother's Day and till then, I can do pretty well on summary crops. Would really like to start expanding what I grow and the season I have to work with.

I can't find this specific situation addressed in my research. Your tips are very welcome.

TIA,

JC

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!