SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wildmonster

Will these 3 plants do well in (morning sun only) containers

wildmonster
17 years ago

I haven't received any response to my post to the Balcony Forum, so I hope I have better luck with the Container Forum :)!

I don't have a lot of experience with container gardening. But I moved to an apartment with a balcony and would really like to have a few small shrubs. I live in Marblehead, MA. Balcony faces E/SE. There are 2-3 hours of sun in late morning, but because the balcony is covered and there is an outdoor tree, the balcony only gets some dappled light the rest of the day.

I've picked 3 ("native") plants for 18-20" pots:

- Clethra alnifolia (summersweet) "Hummingbird"

- Aronia melanocarpa (black chokeberry) "Viking"

- Tsuga canadensis (Canadian hemlock) "Gentsch white"

Will they grow well in containers? Can they put up with my balcony's sunlight condition? Would they over-winter well out in the balcony?

(The Itea/sweetspire "Little Henry" which I took with me from Philadelphia 2 years ago didn't do well last year and it looks even worse - if not dead - this year. I'm in zone 6 and close to the ocean, and sweetspire is rated zone 5. But the wind had been fierce. Plus I didn't look after my poor plants last year -- I had too much on my plate. Anyway, I really want to take better care of them this year!)

Many thanks!

Carmen

Comments (2)