SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steve_e_gw

Starting seeds indoors -

steve_e
14 years ago

Hello All,

I'm fairly new to starting seeds indoors and whatnot. I remember as a kid starting a few plants indoors and transplanting them outside, and as far as I remember it worked out pretty well.

At any rate, I am trying some of this stuff again, and just thought I'd post my current setup, what I'm growing, and what I'm doing, to see if anyone recommends doing something different or whatnot.

I've got Tomatos, Peas, and 3 different kinds of peppers, long hots, cubanelles, and poblanos all planted in seed form. The peppers are more of an experiment, I took seeds from peppers and laid them out on paper towel, and put them in an envelope and kept them til' I planted them. They seemed just like regular dried out pepper seeds, we'll see what happens. But I've got them planted in the jiffy peat container things, with the plastic black bottom and the clear plastic top. I have the top on, and a flourescent shoplight with 2 bulbs about 5 inches above the plastic lids, I intend to lower when the seedlings sprout. I have a spray bottle that I'm just keeping the soil somewhat moist with, sometimes it appears I'm over doing it with the water, but every time I go to look at the seeds the soil is dry, real dry, like you can blow on it and it blows away. I think the peat pots are taking alot of the moisture, so I'm sure I'll notice a difference in the moisture staying constant as the peat pots catch up with the soil. Anyways thats what I've got so far, and I leave the lights on like all the time, just to kind of keep some heat in the jiffy containers, its a little cooler in my basement so I figure the lights would help a tad. But when I have seedlings I intend to only run the lights for like 16 hrs at a time. Sorry for writing a book, just wanted to be complete in what I'm doing to I give everything the best shot at growing fully! Please don't hesitate to let me know of something I shouldnt or should be doing! Thanks!

Comments (5)