SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gametheory

Aphids on my mint! Suddenly don't want mojitos...

gametheory
13 years ago

I just discovered a couple of aphids on my chocolate and pineapple mint plants in my little apartment container garden. This will be the last time I ever buy a plant from Trader Joes... (I should have known it was too easy...)

I'm a rank newbie when it comes to planting, and I just want to know, what can I do? Is this saveable?

I'm a bit worried here, because I don't want them spreading to other plants and I don't think I'll be able to pick them all off. So far I've killed about 7, but I really don't have time to spend patrolling the plants. And the romance of making juleps with your own mint disappears somewhat when you know you've bathed that mint in poison to kill the little bugs on it. (I'm willing to use food safe poison if I need it, but am not too thrilled with the prospect.)

The following pic shows my setup (in terms of the aphids spreading). Chocolate mint in the foreground, pineapple mint in the background (both had bugs). Basil and Rosemary off to the side.

{{gwi:25901}}

I've got 3 mojito mints, a stevia, and 3 pesto perpetuos on order, so I'd like to solve this before they arrive and if that means getting rid of the current mints, I'm completely ready to do it.

Ugh. Not a happy day for this beginning gardener.

Comments (11)