SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

Old house: need help on what stays/goes & porch

We bought a fixer upper farmhouse a couple of years ago with almost no plantings except for shrubs on 2 sides of the house and 4 trees that are newer than the lone ancient ash in the front.

I'm going to try to include 2 pictures taken from the day we owned the place. The side view shows what I guess are yews and perhaps arborvitae that flank the corners. Except for fixing the roof and window we haven't changed anything on that side.

The other picture shows the front of the house with the shrubs so overgrown you couldn't get to the front steps. The two larger ball shaped shrubs were taken out, the yews are still there.We are going to rebuild the porch and give it a new roof, so the yews will have to go to do the foundation work.

Questions:

1. What are the tall flanking tree/bushes on the side? Are they white cedar, arborvitaes? How old might these be? Would you take these down completely or if old, keep them as part of the house plantings? This is an old house--it is original log construction behind that brick veneer--early 1800's. Could you envision the best look for this side of the house ? It faces west. (I guess my indecision (on the side of the house) comes from the fact that there was so little in the way of plantings there that I have been reluctant to remove anything that could be part of an historic fabric, but I don't know how to tell the age if shrubbery.

)

2. We use this porch a great deal to look out at the yard and gardens (in progress), sip wine, listen to birds and talk. I'd like to think about ways to make the lines a bit less harsh--it's all straight lines from the 40 foot porch to the 40 ft wing. I had been thinking about training a rose along the roof line of this south facing porch--sort of like a bower effect, but not "frou frou" as this is not at all a Victorian age house. Opinions on how to work an appropriate and attractive look for this porch?

I guess my indecision (on the side of the house) comes from the fact that there was so little in the way of plantings there that I have been reluctant to remove anything that could be part of an historic fabric, but I don't know how to tell the age if shrubbery.

{{gwi:11795}}

{{gwi:11797}}

Comments (7)