SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canuckistani

Families of plants- crop rotation etc.

canuckistani
15 years ago

I recently did some research on various vegetables and flowers and what plant families they fall into...it was somewhat surprising to me.

First of all I'm wondering if rotating crops should be done entirely based on families of plants.

In other words, should tomatoes, peppers, eggplants (solanaceae) for example all be planted in the same area, while all cucurbiteae together, and all asteraceae together etc.

In terms of families, am I wrong in thinking that Brassicas, grains, and Cucurbitaceae crops are in most need of rotation. While solanaceae comes in next, and the Fabacea, Asteraceae and Apiaceae families having far fewer pest problems that would require rotation. Most of the apiaceae are also companion plants, as well as a lot of the asteraceae, since companions like cosmos and marigolds are recommended to be planted all over- it seems futile to rotate these groups if we view rotation in terms of plant families.

Any horticulture nerds have any insight on these issues?

Also are the soil and nutrition requirements for plants in the same families generally very similar?

Comments (3)