SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ralleia

Crop rotation woes...

ralleia
18 years ago

I garden organically using intensive raised beds. I try to do crop rotation, such as the fruiting->leaf->root->legume rotation, but would also like to avoid planting the same families of plants every single year. The trouble is I love those brassicas (kale, kohlrabi, brocolli, turnip, cabbage, rapa, radishes) so much that they end up in the beds every year. Hardly two, preferably three-year gap required between planting the same crop in the same place for disease and pest prevention.

I'm planning to at least double my bed space to allow more effective rotations, but I think I'll still run into some problems. Apparently there's only nine main families of vegetable crops--brassicas, cucumber family, grass family, goosefoots, nightshades, legumes, parsley family, onion family, and lettuce family. If I'm getting 2-3 crops a year out of each bed by succession planting, managing rotations while still leaving three years between plantings of the same family will be a logistical nightmare. I'll probably be forced in include entirely unrelated flowers/perennials or some exotics into the rotation.

Does anyone feel they have a good handle on crop rotation? How do you deconflict the logjam?

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz