SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
healthyroots

insect g.p.s

little sur farm
13 years ago

I have often wondered where my garden pests come from. Example: if I dont grow cucumbers I dont get cucumber beetles. As soon as i do i have loads of them. how do they find out im growing them and where are they hiding until then? I think this may be a stupid question but i am trying to deal with my bug problem as systematically as possible. Thank you in advance.

Comments (2)

• nc_crn
    13 years ago

Some of these bugs overwiner in areas and when they emerge they seek out their host or food plants.

Some move (like weather patterns) from south-to-north (generally) and are tracked similar to storm fronts in order to forecast when a farmer should begin their preventative spray programs.

• tcstoehr
    13 years ago

Insects are known to have an extremely keen sense of smell, and use it to locate plants they want to eat. Many insects also specialize on individual plant species, or families, like a Monarch Butterfly to a milkweed. So all they have to do is sniff out one particular type of scent to target their food source. Your cucumbers will be located, resistance is futile.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH