SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bindersbee

Teaching first landscape design class- what to cover?

bindersbee
16 years ago

I'm going to be teaching a waterwise landscape design class this spring. It will just be a 1-2 hour class at our local conservation garden to cover the basics. As I start preparing for it, I wanted to get some imput from others who've taught classes as well as folks who'd like to take one. Obviously, I want it to be a positive experience for everyone and have them leave feeling more competent to tackle their landscapes. I don't want anyone to leave thinking that it was a waste of their time.

We're at the beginning of a landscape renaissance here in Utah in that average folks are on the very cusp of being forced to less water-intensive landscapes. There's a lot of resistance to the change but it's going to have to happen. I want to lessen the fear people have of landscapes that aren't 90% bluegrass. Right now, we're still in the carrot phase (hence my class) but within a few years- we'll be at the 'stick' phase where water rates will increase exponentially.

So, imagine that you are unfamiliar with any type of landscaping that isn't blue grass, Home Depot shrubs, and a few petunias. What information would you need to feel like you can stretch your definition of a great yard? What would you want to know when you leave? What would you need to know to be ready to tackle making a change in your own yard? What types of handouts/information would you want to take home with you?

I have a lot of public speaking experience and I'm pretty good at it so I'm not worried about that part. The presentation will be fine. I'm more worried about content. Any tips from those with experience or ideas from those who would be interested in taking a basic class? I have some thoughts as to substance but, as with anything design related, it always helps to get additional opinions/critiques.

Comments (11)