SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thedogsll

How much does a big batch of 511 make?

thedogsLL
10 years ago

Hi, All.
I have two 60 gallon plastic barrels that I plan to cut in half around the middle. They are the big blue barrels that are used in manufacturing. They held coconut oil about 4 years ago, but were steam cleaned before I got them, and I plan to pressure wash again once they are opened up. So, I think I'm good at estimating 26-28 gallons each. But I'm starting from 60 gallons liquid. How does that translate to container mix?

I've spent some time reading everything I can on 511 mix, and plan to use the recipe in Big Batches, but need a little help with the amounts:

Big batch:
2-3 cu ft pine bark fines- is this two 3 cu ft bags, or just 2 or 3 cu ft per batch? I have found a pretty small pine bark mulch at Home Depot I can use, in 2 cu ft bags.

5 gallons each peat/perlite- is that a 5 gallon bucket?

While we've grown tomatoes and peppers in 5 gallon buckets for years, I've never done containers on this scale, and just want to do it right to maximize yield on tomatoes, peppers, cukes, and something else. The half barrels will be on asphalt, raised on something a couple inches high so they can drain.

Thanks for any help!
Lynn T

Comments (8)