SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cebury

Citrus in Large Containers

cebury
15 years ago

A quick preface: I've read 90% of the Container Soils Water Movement I-VII threads(yikes), Fertilizers in Containers, Trees in Containers, and the last few years of posts in this forum with Citrus word in it -- esp from JaG or Al. Wonderful reads btw (albeit long sifting through Q&A - hey hurry with that book already Al ;-) but a big THANKS to all!

My question has been asked several times in a few different ways but I don't think in this manner. Whenever the question of "citrus in large container" is asked the answer is typically "large pots with poor soils causes drainage, pwt and rot issues" or "big heavy containers are hard to move and repot" and I understand both challenges.

Situation

Assume a young (2-3years) healthy dwarf citrus is successfully transferred in dormancy from the original nursery container into its "final" large container (half-barrell or so) with the 1:1:1 gritty mix. Assume the typical "care" factors being between adequate to ideal (watering, nutrients, environment, pest & fungus management, etc).

My Goals:

1) Healthy & lush wood & foliage, but most importantly high quantity & quality fruit yields (after complete crop thin year 1) relatively speaking for dwarf container citrus.

2) No soil change-out for 3 years (give or take).

3) Postponing root pruning for many years until roots START wrap around base (or at least *only* required every 2-3 years with each soil re-pot).

Stated differently, ideally (for the gardener) I'd like to 1/3 limb & 1/3 root prune ONLY every 3 years with re-pot -- not starting until the tree reaches my max size/shape (whenever that happens is fine with me).

Are those reasonable expectations?

Thanks!

Chris

Comments (11)