SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staticx_gw

what are you starting so far?

staticx
15 years ago

i just want to know what veggies you have started inside,and even the ones that you will start in a couple of days.maybe the setup and pics would be nice.

thanks

Comments (58)

• macheske
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

So far, a lot of kinds of peppers, broccoli, califlower, pac choi, and lettuce. Tomatoes get started in about a week.

• hatchjon
    15 years ago

bella_trix: Great looking plants!

• Related Discussions

starting my wsing ,40 so far ,many more to go

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Trac, do you have Freecycle or equivalent in your area. You can put a request for containers on it and you'll be amazed at what you can get. I am also using margarine tubs for annuals (not much head room) and ice-cream cartons work well, yogurt tubs - just make sure they're deep enough. Keep going!!
    ...See More

So what have you ordered so far?

Q

Comments (4)
    I was making an order and came up with the dreaded "won't ship to Alaska" sign...I get so frustrated with that. But on the bright side, I went seed shopping locally yesterday, and got most of the seeds I wanted cheaper, anyway. My favorite place to buy seeds locally sells Seeds of Change, Renee's Garden, and Johnny's Seeds at a discount, plus buy 4 get 1 free. AND they didn't have one of the tomatoes I wanted; fortunately they had just put in an order to Renee's Garden, so picked up the phone while I was there and had it added to their order. Now that is service! For anyone reading this in the Anchorage/Valley area, if you haven't checked out Far North Garden Supply for those hard to find seeds, you might try them. I'm trying growing artichokes from seed this year. I grew them a couple of years ago, but someone else had started the plants and done the difficult work. I hope the ones I start do as well as those did. I also found cayenne pepper seeds yesterday...there are lots of pepper seeds around, but I haven't found cayenne for a couple of years. It's one of my favorite peppers for drying and adding to anything and everything I cook!
    ...See More

What have you started so far?

Q

Comments (23)
    Chandra, It sounds like you're off to a great start already. Jay, I was hoping you would address NM's mountains and valleys as well as your experiences growing there in terms of planting times. Heather, Hope you have fun planting your onions. Nothing makes it feel like spring is on the way more than planting something in the ground! I'm glad you currently don't see any major cold spells lurking on the models. I am so ready to get stuff planted into the ground, but have lots of frost blanket row covers if the weather throws some surprisingly cold nights at us. Carol, My new 'go to' broccoli, other than Packman, is Piricicaba. It does not form big heads. It forms smallish-to-medium sized main heads, but forms side shoots endlessly. It grows more like a typical sprouting broccoli than the ones bred to form large main heads. Last year's broccoli survived until a frost got it in either late December 2011 or early January 2012, and that means it survived on nothing but rainfall (and precious little of it) after July when I stopped watering the garden until consistent rainfall arrived in September. Any broccoli variety that could survive the summer of 2011 and still be producing in the fall and winter is well worth growing. I originally purchased Piricicaba seed from Bountiful Gardens because they said it survived and produced even when temperatures were in the 90s. It performed even better in our heat than I expected. I have been moderately happy with Di Cico when I have grown it, but it hasn't produced as well for me as Packman does. I also like Small Miracle because I can cram a lot of those into rows with tight spacing, but Piricicaba produces better/longer than Small Miracle so has replaced it. For fall I want to plant one of the purple sprouting broccoli varieties that overwinters, but I'll put it in the greenhouse. I have had a hard time getting any fall gardening done the last two years because of drought/wildfire, and am hoping for a kinder, gentler summer in 2012 so I can have a good fall garden like I did in 2009. Dawn
    ...See More

1)What have you planted so far, 2) what will you plant this week?

Q

Comments (46)
    I'd really been wondering when the redbuds would show that first blush of color and finally .... just in the last day or two, they are showing up along the roadsides. A deer visited a few days ago and snacked on some of my tulips :( but the ones that are left are beginning to bloom and they are beautiful! Phlox is now blooming and the hostas are growing fast. I'm now pretty sure that the tree that I thought might be a crabapple is just that, and it looks like another small tree is a redbud (yay). It's fun discovering what's growing here, now that the weather has finally decided to warm up. A neighbor said 12 wild turkeys were in our yard the other day, but we were at work so we missed seeing them. The street we live on is called Turkey Run Drive, so now we now how it got its name :). Oh, and one bit of good news .... they started the dirt work where the building will go, and when they stripped off the bermuda grass the land is mostly nice dirt, with only one little strip of red clay running through it. This may have once been farmland, or a pasture. So that's good news for the vegetable garden. Suzie
    ...See More
  • laurell
    15 years ago

I started my herbs that will be going into pots on my deck on saturday, and I'll be starting tomatoes, peppers and maybe broccoli later this week.

No fancy grow lights for me though! They'll just live next to a window for a few weeks then go into the garden.

• sheerglass
    15 years ago

hamiltongardener

Haven't grown/seen anybody with brussel sprouts so am a little cautious with unventured territories.Plus the sight of brussel sprouts on the dinner plate induces convulsive attacks in DH, so thats another reason.

hatchjon
    Last year I started pole beans indoors and have to say that not all of the seedlings transplanted well.However, the ones that did live took very well to the peat pellets they were in and had good produce till end of September. Direct seeding may be the way to go but I guess I really want to start growing something, ANYTHING... for the illusion of an approaching summer.

• staticx
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok,i really like the setup you got bella.its simple and cheap and effective.i will probably start my eggplants,watermelons and okra soon enough.im really gettin addicted to this stuff.

• indy76km
    15 years ago

I'm so jealous of the southern climates. Up here the most we can do at this point is order seeds. It is still to early to start anything inside as our safe planting date for here isn't until the end of May :( I am anxiously awaiting the middle of March when I can start my first plants which will be yellow sweet spanish onions.

• hamiltongardener
    15 years ago

I used to be jealous of the southern climates, butthen I realized that they deal with a heck of a lot more pests and diseases than we do since they don't get the same amount of winterkill we do. And, some of their pests don't have a range that reaches up to us.

So it's a trade off. We have to endure the pictures of their first ripe tomato before we even hit our last frost date. But we also don't have to deal with half of the ravages and buildup of pests that they do either.

• phantom_white
    15 years ago

Tomatoes. LOTS of tomatoes... in yogurt cups, in a cardboard box, under the kitchen table.

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

I have been growing salad greens since Jan 1 in my basement and am able to eat a good size salad 3-4 times a week from it. Just today I did start pak choi, broccoli, cauliflower, leeks, cabbage, chard and kale to be transplanted out hopefully in early April in a small hoop house...first time with a hoop house so I am learning.

I have a couple pictures on my blog of my lettuce grown indoors for salads.

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

• imstillatwork
    15 years ago

I have:

ready to go out to the gh in the next week or so
    2 varieties of lettuce
    lots of broccoli
    a few green cabbage

getting ready:
    4 Anaheim chilies
    4 Yellow bellpepers

Already growing strong in gh:
    sugar snap & snow peas

Just sowed in gh:
    carrots

will be sowing spinach in gh today or tomorrow.

• organic_polly
    15 years ago

I have planted garlic in the fall. A lot of it is starting to shoot up. Looks nice and green.
    Am going to plant onions tomorrow. Have planted some in the fall as well

As for indoors, tomatoes, lettuce, snow peas, spinach, broccoli.
    Hope to see seedlings soon that would go to the greenhouse.

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I started some habaneros inside. It's still a little too early to start things. Next week or the week after I'll start peppers, more hot peppers and tomatoes, maybe broccoli & cauliflower too.

• reign
    15 years ago

Right now - herbs. I'll start more herbs today. This weekend or so I'll do broccoli, lettuce, greens and an early tomato. I should have started a tomato weeks ago. I spaced it out.

• laurenlulu
    15 years ago

Wow! I'm surprised at some of the stuff you guys are starting so early. I don't have that kind of faith in my set up! I wish I had one like yours, Bella! I have started red and yellow onions, broccoli, cauliflower, mesclun and romaine lettuce, and some herbs for an inside kitchen garden.

Oh, I did start one cherokee purple tomato, just to see if the seeds I saved were any good- they seem to be sprouting.

• lilion
    15 years ago

Last night I started some lettuce, spinach, chives, thyme, parsley, brussles sprouts, green onions and some flowers. They are in my little plastic Jiffy box in my only sunny window. This is the first time I will have tried to start something indoors first, so I guess we'll see in a couple of weeks if it was worth the effort.

• markmein
    15 years ago

In mid-January I started indoors 5 kale, 5 lettuce, 1 broccoli, and 22 asparagus. I've been hardening them for the past week. I'll transplant them outside this weekend, with everything but the kale under cloches. It's early, but the cloches have had lettuce, spinach, arugula & snow peas direct seeded since early January, and they're doing OK (if slowed by a bit of snow a week after I sowed) - so I'm thinking the transplants have a decent chance. (Also, the 15 day forecast looks pretty good.)

All this transplanting is to make way for the new sowings I did indoors.

Five days ago I started indoors 8 tomatoes, 4 potatoes (from seed), 2 broccoli, and 1 rhubarb. The broc have sprouted and as of this morning a couple toms are just breaking ground.

While I'm out transplanting tomorrow, I'll also direct sow under a cloche chard, carrots, beets, lettuce, spinach, arugula, & cilantro, and I'll direct sow without cover some mustard greens and mesclun.

These are all small patches (square foot garden segments), but hopefully they'll get an early start on the season. I'm a novice, but quite enthusiastic. I'm taking the heart the prospect of 4-season veggie gardening that's supposedly possible here.

• imstillatwork
    15 years ago

I think a lot depends on our zones / and greenhouse setups as far as how early we start. Some things I wish I started earlier. (lettuce, peas, etc.)

• knittlin
    15 years ago

Artichokes, chives (regular onion and garlic), Welsh onions, basil, Bughatti lettuce, three kinds of peppers (serranos, early jalapenos, pasilla bajio peppers) and three kinds of tomatoes (Texas Wild, Fox Red Cherry, and Beefsteak). I've also got a few ornamentals ~ castor beans, luna white and luna pink hibiscus, and red shield hibiscus.
    {{gwi:20734}} (You can click that one to get a bigger pic ~ some haven't sprouted in that one though since it was taken a few days or a week ago.)

I've been wanting to start more seeds, especially tomatoes and peppers, but ants moved into my warming table. Ack! They're getting evicted tomorrow ~ I'll take all the soil out of the table and replace it, then sprinkle cayenne heavily throughout to keep them out. Some of the peppers in the flat have started sprouting, so I'm not sure how I'll get them out of there ~ maybe just sprinkle cayenne on them too, even though that'll take a few days for them to move out.
    {{gwi:20735}}

Outside in the raised beds I have red, yellow and white onions (Sweet Red, 1015Y and White Bermuda, respectively), parsley, bloody dock, cilantro, a bunch more herbs just planted from small transplants and three more kinds of lettuce ~ I can only remember one kind out there which is Jericho, a kind bred in Israel for heat tolerance.
    {{gwi:20736}}

Tomorrow I'll be planting potatoes and Jerusalem artichokes in pots. I HATE digging potatoes, so I thought the big pots would be easier ~ I can just turn them over on a tarp, harvest the tubers and put the soil back in the pots. Yep, I'm a lazy gardener. ;)

• thepodpiper
    15 years ago

It is still a little early for me to start anything other than peppers but I have my hands full. The tomatoes will be started in about 2 to 3 weeks.These are the peppers that I have going so far. Tomorrow morning i will start the rest of the annuums.

Alba
    Ancient Sweet
    BGH 1725
    Bhut Jolokia
    Bird Aji
    Bishops Crown
    Black Scorpion Tongue
    Boldog
    Botinecka Zuta
    Brazilian Red Pumpkin
    C. Cardenasii
    C. Eximium
    C. Galapogoense
    C. Lanceolatum
    C. Microcarpum
    C. Praetermissum
    CAP 215
    CAP 499
    CAP 500
    CAP 503
    CAP 1446
    CAP 1478
    CAP 1530
    CGN 19198
    CGN 21502
    Chilli Congo
    Chinese 5 color
    Chupetinha
    Cobinchu
    Corno De Toro
    Cumari De Para
    Diamond White
    Elephant Ear
    Fatalii
    Fatalii Red
    Fat-n-Sassy
    Floral Gem
    Fushimi
    Greygo
    Hab #44
    Hab Amarillo
    Hab Big Sun
    Hab Black Congo
    Hab Brown
    Hab Cancun
    Hab Cappucino
    Hab Caribbean Red
    Hab Condors Beak
    Hab Fogoso
    Hab Fransisco
    Hab Giant White
    Hab Golden
    Hab Guadaloupe
    Hab Ivory
    Hab Lemon
    Hab Little Finger
    Hab Long Chocolate
    Hab Manzano
    Hab Martinique
    Hab Mustard
    Hab Neon Yellow
    Hab Paper Lantern
    Hab Peach
    Hab Punta Giallo
    Hab Red Dominican
    Hab Red Savina
    Hab Rpjo
    Hab Rosso
    Hab St. Barts
    Hab Surinam
    Hab Tree
    Hab Yellow
    Hab Yellow Pointed
    Inca Red Drop
    Jimmy Nardello
    Kerinting
    Klara Baby Cheese
    Kuala Sweet
    Mini Chocolate Bell
    Mini Red Bell
    Mini Yellow Bell
    Mishme
    Murupi
    Orange Lantern
    Padron
    Peru Scarlet Lantern
    PI 257142
    PI 260427
    PI 313019
    PI 315019
    PI 439414
    PI 439478
    PI 439479
    PI 441629
    PI 441637
    PI 497980
    PI 543208
    PI 560936
    PI 560944
    PI 631154
    Pimenta De Neyde
    Portachuela
    Purira
    Purple Pea
    Rain Forest
    Rocopica
    Rocotillo
    7-Pot
    Socrates
    Soroksari
    TC 07246
    Trinidad Scorpion

Dale

• thepodpiper
    15 years ago

Forgot to put in the picture of my new germination box. I was getting tired of wiping the condensation off of the plastic dome lid every hour so i put this together and I could not be happier with it's performance.

{{gwi:15284}}

Dale

• knittlin
    15 years ago

Now THAT is cool, Dale! Good job on that!

• staticx
    Original Author
    15 years ago

wow thats alot of peppers how do you plant them out,in rows or what.you must be able to harvest like 20 pounds a day or more.

• susaneden
    15 years ago

Just peppers for me :D

Sweet:
    Gypsy
    Cubanelle
    Bull Horn
    Bells

Hot:
    Jalapenos
    Hot Hungarian
    Cayenne

I will start some herbs (basil and thyme) and tomatoes next week.

• the_sun
    15 years ago

I'm sooooooo JEALOUS!!
    You high zoners have all the fun.

I'm growing a backache from shoveling snow, snow, ice, ice baby and more snow.

• the_sun
    15 years ago

I'm starting to day dream about Summer.

• thepodpiper
    15 years ago

I feel your pain We are supposed to get anywhere up to 8" today, nothing yet though.

staticx, check out the Photobucket link and you can see how i planted the peppers. The pepper maggots got me bad last year, I was throwing away large garbage cans full of peppers every week. It was terrible, so this year I am only putting small podded varieties in the garden and selling the others.

Dale

Here is a link that might be useful: garden pics

• knittlin
    15 years ago

Just wait, TheSun ~ come high summer we'll be the ones jealous of all you northerners with your cooler temps and lower pest levels. We'll be sitting down here fighting SVBs the size of Oldsmobiles, grasshopper infestations of biblical proportions and powdery mildew thick enough to have an R-9 insulation rating (IF we ever get any rain, that is), all the while melting in our boots.

• the_sun
    15 years ago

:o) Funny!

I dream of SVBs, horrible thunderstorms and swarms of mosquitoes.

NOAA says we'll get another five to seven feet of snow before
    April.

It has been a harsh winter.

• knittlin
    15 years ago

As dry as it has been this past year or two, TheSun, I'd gladly take all seven feet of your snow, even if it came all at once. I swear, it's drier than a popcorn fart down here.

• west_texas_peg
    15 years ago

knittlin

AMEN!!! We have had no moisture of any kind for months and what little we had was dried up by high winds.

Our soil is so dry you can not get a shovel into it. That is why I'm doing raised beds so I can use soaker hoses to water just the plants. I prayed for a good snow this year but it did not happen...had a tiny bit of sleet that the wind blew away. Today we have wind up to 40mph and with my allergies, I will not be going outside! Discovered this morning my humidifier bit the dust from over use so I will suffer with my sinus problems until hubby can get back into town and buy another.

PRAYING for RAIN!
    Peggy

• staticx
    Original Author
    15 years ago

podpiper,awesome garden and i would like to ask what was that large watermelon pile of and is it a seedless variety?
    thanks

• thepodpiper
    15 years ago

staticx, there is actually 6 different varieties but no seedless (this year I will)

Summer Flavor 420 (will grow again in 2009)
    Blacktail Mountain
    Georgia Rattlesnake
    Royal Golden
    Cream Of Saskatchewan
    Tendersweet orange

Dale

• sugarmags
    15 years ago

In my zone just alpine strawberries (in 150 paper pots) and about a dozen rhubarb seeds (not pictured). I'll get the leeks started tomorrow, but I wish I had got to them earlier.

{{gwi:20737}}

• granite
    15 years ago

Sungold yellow cherry tomatoes
    Jubilee yellow tomatoes
    Super beefsteak tomatoes
    Pimiento Dulce sweet peppers
    Yellow Bell sweet peppers
    California Wonder bell peppers
    Sweet banana mix peppers

I'm starting them in peat pellets in a mini greenhouse dome on top of the fridge for bottom warmth, then they move to grow lights.

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Well, I haven't started anything indoors yet, but peppers will get sown in the next week or two, and then tomatoes. Still need to narrow the lists down a bit though : )

Everything else is getting wintersown. Here is what I have so far:
    {{gwi:20738}}

That includes 5 kinds of lettuce, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, amaranth, cilantro, dill, parsley, marjoram, and winter savory, plus quite a few perennials. Just discovered sprouts in most of the lettuce and spinach containers today.

BTW, Podpiper, where did you find seeds for Boldog? If that's the Hungarian Paprika, I've been trying to buy seeds for two years, and everyone's always out of stock.

Bonnie

• thepodpiper
    15 years ago

Bonnie, shoot me an email.

Dale

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Dale, sent you an email. Let me know if it goes through.

Thanks,
    Bonnie

• trant
    15 years ago

I have started Celery (Celebration) and Parsley (Italian Flat Leaf) on around Feb. 9th. I was surprised they sprouted in just 7 days! Tonight I will plant lettuce and spinach indoors for a head start - can never have too much of them!

• cindy_l
    15 years ago

Eep! I can see that I'm behind the curve!

Let me see:
    I have broccoli, cauliflower and brussels sprouts seeded indoors (will put out in another few weeks).

I'll buy tomato and peppers plants in April from our Master Gardeners program.

I'll direct seed legumes when the rain lets up.

Maybe I should start pumpkins and gourds now indoors?

• caavonldy
    15 years ago

I haven't started any seeds yet. I really need to do some wintersowing and I do have a small zip-up greenhouse. I do have beets, onions, cauliflower,chard, spinach, lettuce, some herbs and other cool season plants outside. I need to start my tomatoes and peppers. My biggest worry is that with the drought we are having in California, I won't be able to water as much as I need to. I keep everything on drip/soaker hoses with timers but I am thinking of cutting back on my country garden. I didn't winter sow any flower
    seeds this year. I think I will concentrate on keeping trees, shrubs and perennials alive. I am using lots of mulch to cover the areas that usually have annuals and to keep down the weeds. This is so hard because I was planning to double the size of my vegetable garden.

• ekling211
    15 years ago

Very impressive. Question: I have a weekend house in zone 5B so I'm only there 3 nights a week. I have fantastic light and direct sunlight in the house. One window in my guest room gets morning sun for about 2-3 hours. I also have afternoon sun in another room for about 2-3 hours. Does anyone think it's possible to start some seedings in either of these rooms without having to set up lights? I would also need to address the water situation since I can't be there 4 days to water. I'm thinking I'd place the planters in a small amount of water in a a large flat container. Any idea's and if so what's the best thing to plant? Thanks.

• knittlin
    15 years ago

Cindy_l, I'd wait on the pumpkins and gourds and just direct seed them ~ shouldn't be but another couple weeks 'til it's safe to do that in your zone. Also, it's a bit late to be starting cole crops (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, etc.) and other cool weather crops from seed. What does the planting chart for your area say? Usually, if it's not specified on the chart, the dates they give are for transplants, so if there's no info for starting seeds specifically, count back six weeks from the date they give and that's when you should be starting seeds.

I'm a zone north of you and after February, setting out plants would be too late for me to get any harvest. Last time I tried it, the broccoli ad cauliflower didn't make tight, compact heads ~ they just went to flower as soon as they started forming the heads (it was weird seeing a head of cauliflower looking normal at the edges, but with a flower stalk sticking out of the middle! LOL!). Brussels sprouts never did make any sprouts, just leaves hwere the sprouts should have been.

But since you've started them anyway, I'd just keep on going with them to see what happens. If your temps don't get as high as it does for me, you might get something out of them after all.

Ekling211, check out capillary mats. They're these fabric mats that you put your seed trays on top of and put one end of the mat in a tray of water. It's supposed to keep things watered while not letting them sit in water (that would be a bad thing). Also, two or three hours of light just isn't enough. Can you set up some lights on timers? Lastly, the best thing to plant is what you want to eat! :)

• bklyn2pok
    15 years ago

I couldn't wait any longer, last week I started tomatoes-2 varieties, basil-4 varieties, stevia, peppers-1 hot, 1 sweet. As of yesterday the basil, stevia and one lone tomato seedling had begun to sprout - can't wait to get home tonight and see how things are coming along.

On Saturday I started more peppers-cubanelle, more tomatoes-yellow pear, marigolds, oregano and pansies.

I'm still waiting for the last of my seed orders to arrive...more tomatoes of course, sage and more peppers.

We're in the freeze & thaw cycle soon to be followed by the March freezing rain and sleet cycle....I should be able to sow some lettuce in the garden come April.

• indy76km
    15 years ago

While watching my father plow my driveway creating a snow banking the size of the garage my mailman delivered the seeds I ordered! I'm so glad I shoveled early so he could make it to the door lol. Anyway I got so excited I had to start something so I planted a few sweet basil seeds in a few small pots. Maybe I will start some other herbs tomorrow.

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I can't take the snow anymore!!! To brighten up my spirits I started my tomatoes, sweet peppers, hot peppers, marjoram, parsley & oregano yesterday. In a week or two, I'll start broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, kohlrabi & basil.

Dale, I like the little toe head helping you in the garden. He's a cutie!

• indy76km
    15 years ago

Onions! They are just starting to sprout now. I planted Yellow Sweet Spanish about 5 days ago. My basil is also doing well that I started a week ago. This snow storm is depressing me so I will be looking to see what else I can start early, Cabbage maybe?

• amprice
    15 years ago

Spinach, lettuce and Cherry Toms for Containers (for my Gram who can't get out there any longer). Basil and Parsley both doing well. Today I started my Broccoli, Cauliflower, and cabbage. Oh and onions last week!

• tn_veggie_gardner
    15 years ago

I'm doing 100% organic this year for my tomatoes & bell peppers, if not everything. I'm going to start both this weekend inside. I'll post some more detail early next week & seedling pics towards the end of the month. It's good to be back on GardenWeb. I'm looking forward to a very productive container garden this year. :) And, one way or another, I will defeat the spider mites and get some hot peppers this year! Later all.

• macheske
    15 years ago

Here's a few pictures.

Peppers, various types.
    {{gwi:20739}}

Cauliflower and Broccoli:
    {{gwi:20740}}

Bok Choi:
    {{gwi:20741}}

Tomatoes were started this weekend and some are already coming up.

• brass_tacks
    15 years ago

Before I list the things I've started I want to say that I have had 100% success germinating Johnny's Selected Seeds. Other places I ordered over the net were: New England Seed Co., Victory Seed Co., Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, Millington Seed Co., Tomato Growers Supply Co., Trade Winds Fruit.

I have three 4' X 9' raised beds. Two for cool crops. Later two for Tomatoes and one for peppers. The beans and other things will be planted in these beds as companion kind of plantings. I use crop covers and these will be staying on all summer. I'll remove the covers in the morning and they'll go back on about 10am (after the bees have left to cool their hives) A collection of plastic pop bottles filled with water hold down the crop covers. A collection of smaller glass bottles are placed wherever they can fit to accommodate our cold nights and frosts and freezes. There are 15 stakes, 18" high in each of the beds. Jute twine is criss-crossed every which way. This keeps the crop covers from whipping around so much and also will hold up the sheets and blankets I have to cover the beds with when there is going to be a frost or freeze. I use the plastic bottles that have held drinking water and put very small needle-size holes into the bottles to serve as my watering style. I plan to keep this watering style up -- it worked well with watering the rose plants and citrus trees last year (using gallon milk jugs) It conserves on the water big time and allows me to control exactly what gets watered. I also use this kind of watering to put the fish emulsion and epson salts or whatever into the ground. No problem with getting the leaves wet either.

All of this is very time consuming -- I don't know if I'll be able to keep up with the pace. This is my first year with vegetables -- you probably can tell :) My husband says he thinks I'm overdoing "this whole thing". But I'm just learning, so there you go.

Cool Crops:
    After germinating, these were placed in front of a window and got so leggy that I threw them out and started over. Now everything gets put a few inches below flouresant lights.
    Some are now in the raised gardens and covered with crop covers. When we've had freezes and frosts each bed gets covered with four sheets and thermal blankets.

Early Scarlet Globe Radish, Victory
    Early Wonder Tall Top Round Red Beet, Johnny's
    Round Red Ace F1 Hybrid Beet, Johnny's
    Rio Verde Hybrid Cabbage, New England Seed
    Salad Bowl Lettuce, New England Seed
    Buttercruch Lettuce, New England Seed
    Romaine COS Lettuce, New England Seed
    Early Scarlet Globe Radish, Victory
    Bloomsdale Long Standing Spinach, Victory
    Savoyed Leaf Tyee F1 Hybrid Spinach, Johnny's

Tomato: The Solar Fire doesn't want to get going. The Sun Gold is doing the best -- now about 5" tall. The Sun Gold gets very good reviews and is hard to come by (so is the Solar Fire). The Purple Cherokee is suppose to be fantastic tasting -- comeing from someone that works an organic business for profit.
    Amish Paste
    Eva Black Ball
    Brandywine
    Black Brandywine
    Purple Cherokee
    Solar Fire VFFF Hybrid, Tomatoe Growers Supply
    Sun Gold Cherry

Pepper:
    All of these had just germinated and were setting out on the patio and a strong wind blew them off the table two days ago. Rats! All gone. There isn't going to be room under the lights to start these seeds over. I'll just have to figure on planting only one of each.

Cayenne, Long Red, Victory
    Golden California Wonder, Victory
    Hungarian Yellow Wax (Hot Banana), Victory
    Hungarian Sweet, (Sweet Banana), Victory
    Pimento, Victory

Insectuary & Companion Plantings:
    some seeds were planted in peat pots today and the rest will be direct-planted in a few weeks when I know for sure there will be no more frosts.

Queen Sophia French Marigold, Johnny's
    Alaska Mix Nasturtium, Johnny's
    Genovese Basil, Ghorganics.com
    Sweet Basil, Ferry Morse
    Caraway, Victory
    German Chamomile, Victory
    Dill Bouquet, Victory
    Florence Fennel, Victory
    Feverfew, E-Bay
    Flying Saucers Morning Glory, E-Bay
    Italian Parsley, Victory
    Shasta Daisy, Victory
    Spearmint, Victory
    Creeping Thyme, Victory
    Yarrow, E-Bay

Beans: Only the Contenders and Scarlet Runners are still around. I know better now, but I thought I had waited long enough for germination and decided they weren't going to germinate and threw them out.

Blue Lake 274 Hybrid, Victory
    Contender Bush Bean, Victory
    McCaslin 42 Pole Bean, Baker Creek
    Roma II Bush Bean, Victory
    Scarlet Runner Bean, Millinton Seed

Pray for me :)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022