SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
country_in_the_city

miniature landscape scenes

Hi, I create miniature scenes in containers. Does anyone else on the boards use their containers in this way? Part of the fun is choosing plants that will be long lived, but stay small. I sometimes look at resource lists for railroad or trough gardening to get inspiration.

It started with the Cicely Mary Barker fairies. My partner had bought several for me and I didn't know what to do with them! I bought this container at the smith and hawkins outlet. It looks like stone but it's fake and very light. I picked up the little arch, the butterfly "stepping stones" and put it all together. The little fairy sleeping in the nut is not a barker fairy, but I can't remember the line it came from. I think I bought it at a hallmark store. The little shrub is a lavender cotton (santolina). I think the other plant is corsican mint.

{{gwi:20314}}

This little tree is a hebe that I rarely see at the nursery. I can't remember the name of the ground cover in this container.

{{gwi:20315}}

This prehistoric scene contains miniature hostas, scotch moss, a sago palm tree and a Haworthia aloe. This idea came about when I saw the little dinosaur skeletons in a bucket at a junk shop. My partner loves dinosaurs and I wanted to branch off from the fairies. I like the skeletons, they're like the ghosts of dinosaurs!

{{gwi:20316}}

When I went to the San Francisco garden show this year, one of the garden designers had done an undersea garden that used succulents to create the illusion. I am planning on creating one of these scenes in a container. I've got everything but the container! Those tiny little succulents are so much fun to look over while I'm imagining them on the bottom of the ocean. I found some little verdigris crabs and starfish that I'll add for context. They are similar to the butterflies in the first photo. I am going to haunt the flea markets and salvage yards because I think that is where I will find the perfect container. I thought about using an old aquarium but I think the glass would make it too hot. What do you think about removing the glass and building a 3 or 4" tall base around the bottom? A glass-less aquarium?

Comments (11)